• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

flying with firearms

Loydwith1el

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
16   0
Reaction score
I will be flying to Arizona in Oct. and would like to take my carry gun with me. I realize I cannot carry it on the plane. I have been told to declare it at the counter. Is this a real pain in the ass? Can I carry ammo in the same bag? Most importantly are they going to steal my sh#$ ? any advice will be welcomed. thanks. Keep 'em center mass!

I heard the best way is to mail your gun to yourself at the address where you are going--when you leave you mail it back to yourself--don't forget to insure it

I fly all the time and never had any problems. Make sure you get there early... make sure the gun is unloaded. in a locked box. ammo in a box in the locked box. only you can have the keys. never had anything taken.

Each airline has the process outlined on their website somewhere. I used Delta and brought mine with me. Had to have it in a locked box with no ammo. OR ammo separate, I cant remember that part...

Declare it at the counter and they walked me over to the 'large items' check in to give it to that guy. I asked about it getting stolen, and he said...'This is the 'large items' check bud. So when your small bag comes through this line, everyone knows whats in it.'

So if theres a theif, they know its a gun in there.

I've only traveled with guns on Delta, but they were great. Declare at check-in. Move to the special check-in area. I had ammo in the case with the firearms. Show said firearms, lock the box and pocket the keys. Never had an issue.

Check your airline's website to be sure. When you arrive, you have to go to a special area, show your "checked luggage" tag and be on your way. Easier than you may think.

I fly all the time and never had any problems. Make sure you get there early... make sure the gun is unloaded. in a locked box. ammo in a box in the locked box. only you can have the keys. never had anything taken.

Yep locked and stored separate. The ammo must be in a ammo box (original or reloading type for ammo). I rarely fly anymore but when I do this is acceptable with a word of caution. If for some reason you have to stop (expected or unexpected) in a communist state and the local laws forbid honest citizens from possesion of the type of weapon (or severely restrict it-need permission) you have then you risk jail if found with possesion of it.

Gun in locked box, ammo in locked box inside a locked bag. pocket the keys and fly safe. A duffel bag fits the size requirements of most airlines. I never have problems when flying to a gun friendly state. If you head out of the country with one it's a whole new story, but doable with the right paperwork.

From Delta's website:

Packaging and Presenting/Declaring Firearms
Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if a security checkpoint is prior to the Delta counter.
All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter.
Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign and date a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration. This form must be signed and dated in the presence of the Agent, and a new form must be completed for each trip.
Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard&#8211;sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard&#8211;sided gun case, or a locked hard&#8211;sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard&#8211;sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft&#8211;sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.

Note: If the firearm is still accessible without unlocking the case, the case will NOT be deemed "locked". If your firearm is retrievable you may be subject to TSA fines and/or refused transport.

Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.
If you need to travel with a weapon as checked baggage, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State, or Local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA site.
If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom as checked baggage, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains potential projectiles is not allowed.

I've flown all over the US for hunting and competition and never had a problem. I know of others that have but no more than anyone checking anything else. Couple of suggestions. Get the best case you can afford. There is no such thing as an "airline approved case" -- there is an FAA approved case, which means that it is a hard case and lockable. You won't pay anymore to check a first class case so go ahead an get it.

Secondly, insure it for what it is worth, unless you have other insurance that covers it. The standard airline limits are pathetic, and the airline will give you the worse kind of run around.

If you are talking about a long gun, consider the above suggestion to MAIL it to yourself by registered mail. You can mail it to yourself care of wherever you are going, or you can mail it to the local PO, general delivery. Registered mail is absolutely the safest way to ship anything, with virtually no risk of loss.

Back
Top Bottom