• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Flying with handgun in 'checked baggage'

doubleeaglefan

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
18   0
Reaction score
Hey guys, Any suggestions? We're flying to Milwaukee, WI and I'm thinking about taking my carry gun. I understand the lock box for the gun and declaring it to the ticket agent. Does the ammo also need to be in its own lock box or is ammo not permitted? Do they still put a 'GUN' sticker on the bag? Thanks!

They don't put gun stickers on bags. They usually have you sign a waiver stating the fire arm is unloaded and that is placed inside the bag.

Check with your air line. They all have a different twists on what they require aside from TSA requirements.

They don't put gun stickers on bags. They usually have you sign a waiver stating the fire arm is unloaded and that is placed inside the bag.

Check with your air line. They all have a different twists on what they require aside from TSA requirements.

Thank you sir. Southwest.com did have the answer.

Just flew to Denver with Delta. They now make you check in at the special desk. Total pain in the ass! 8 people behind the counter and only 3 helping customers. We were third in line and it took an hour to get checked in. They also put 2 massive zip ties on your bag and you have to go to the luggage claim area, not the luggage carousels.

upload_2018-8-1_3-3-28.gif Just show up with your carry permit and then go through security. They’ll hook you right up.

1) Case can't be marked or identified as a gun.
2) Lock must be non-TSA. Will probably need one for each corner w/o a hinge.
3) Ammo in FACTORY boxes or MTM ammo cases. Loaded mags will cause you problems on most airlines.
4) Add at least an hour to check in time at each departure, and 30 minutes at the destination.

For a pistol, the best way is to use your existing luggage.

1) Put your pistol in a small gun safe/case that is solid and can be locked. A 'car' safe with it's built-in lock is perfect.
2) Put a large rubber band around the outside of the box/safe.
3) Leave room in a regular suitcase for this pistol case. Ammo should be in factory boxes in this suitcase as well.
4) At the airport, unload your gun (chamber check!) and put it in the box. Box goes into the suitcase w/ the ammo but leave it unlocked (rubber band should hold it closed).
5) Go to the check in counter (Delta has you go to VIP check-in) and tell the nice person that you want to declare an unloaded firearm.
6) Get the form. Fill out the form. They will probably not ask to see the gun, but of they do it will be here.
7) In Hartsfield they will send you to the 'oversized bag' TSA station.
8) The nice TSA person will check the gun, and maybe swab your case. Once they are done...
9) Lock the gun case, put the rubber band around it and use that to hold the form against the outside of case.
10) Put the locked pistol case into your checked luggage and lock your luggage with a TSA lock.
11) Give it to the TSA agent and go wait for 15 minutes. if you don't get a call by then, you should be OK to go through security yourself.

This case-within-a-case system means that your pistol isn't traveling in something that's obviously a gun case. It's just normal luggage. If the TSA rescans and sees a gun, they can open the luggage and the form is right there on the OUTSIDE of the case. No need for them to bust open your pistol case to get at the form which would otherwise be inside with the pistol.

Hey guys, Any suggestions? We're flying to Milwaukee, WI and I'm thinking about taking my carry gun. I understand the lock box for the gun and declaring it to the ticket agent. Does the ammo also need to be in its own lock box or is ammo not permitted? Do they still put a 'GUN' sticker on the bag? Thanks!
Just tell TSA that you are a member of ODT, represented by over 500 jailhouse lawyers. They will wave ya` right on through.

Wow. I have never had that much trouble. I have a hard case that I put my sidearm in, then close it up, and lock it in my checked bag with the TSA agent. You do have to go over to the oversized/ special luggage area, but I never seen it busy. Maybe it’s just the times I am usually there...

Back
Top Bottom