• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food Plot Prep

Shads

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
Slack-jawwed Booger-eatin Redneck
64   0
Reaction score
How much prep work do y'all put in to food plots before and during planting? I ran a spring harrow through to bust them up for a soil sample last month, of course the results said add lime. So, I did. Killed it with glysophate for 2 weeks and today I run a tiller across them. Going to see what greens back up. Possibly spray glysophate again, till and plant. Fertilizer will be added with seed or before. Plan is wheat n oats in one and clover, chicory in the other.

IMG_20220814_191454447.jpg

IMG_20220814_191513606.jpg

We usually spray about 2 weeks before planting come back and fertilizer and seed,for the food plots for season,we have about a 90 acre field in center that’s planted in foraged soybeans or peanuts for summer.

90 acres!! That's what I'm talking about! I hear deer absolutely love em
They do—- I think it draws all the neighbors deer hoping some will like to stay.
Big summer plot almost doubled our deer population the first year we did it around 2002 the biologists recommended it and it sho nuff worked our deer survey went from 45 dpsm to around 80 dpsm on our place.we were averaging seeing 1.5 deer per hour hunted to around 3.0 now and that’s 5 hunters average thru the season.

Put up an electric fence on mine, well see if it keeps it from being mowed down
We have used malorganite as fertilizer when planting plots. Gives the crop time to grow and establish before the scent wears off and they mow it down

We have used malorganite as fertilizer when planting plots. Gives the crop time to grow and establish before the scent wears off and they mow it down
I have thought of doing that, but The electric fence I got cost about the same as renting a mower to mow it , I always heard you have to mow it to get rid of it. How long does it take for it to wear off.

I have thought of doing that, but The electric fence I got cost about the same as renting a mower to mow it , I always heard you have to mow it to get rid of it. How long does it take for it to wear off.
4-6 weeksish. We did a second dose on one plot last year. Nothing touched it for over 2 months. It looked like a putting green on into Dec-Jan

Back
Top Bottom