• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Food plots

I'll be planting about 5 acres total next weekend. I usually plant the Athens Feed and Seed Fall Mix. Here' what's in it:

30% Buck Forage Oats, 30% Grain Rye, 30% Grain Wheat, 5% Annual Ryegrass, 3% Dixie Reseeding Clover, 2% Inert.

I also mix in purple top turnips and ladino clover. This mix has been my standard for several years.

This is what I do for a living and I always advise to plant what you want but don't waste time planting peas or beans in small plots in the woods. The deer ,squirlls, rabbits, turkeys will wipe them out. Instead keep the seed handy and overseed your plots with peas or beans when theres rain in the forecast, not too long before the rain or youre just feeding doves. That way you always got germinating peas and beans. That's what they want, the young plants.

We normally don’t plant until mid October it’s still to hot in sw ga normally we plant winter wheat around 75 acres in plots

The current logging operation is putting ours on hold for a little while. We may plant them later depending on how well they clean up afterwards. It’s the same crew that cut a section of my lease 5 years ago and they cleaned the logging decks off pretty good then.

So I have a couple of areas to plant. One is an old logging deck maybe 2 acres
It’s been bush hogged but is weedy / grassy

The other overgrown wide swaths through the pines

1) spray then plow?

2) just harrow it up

3) use a cultivator?

Back
Top Bottom