For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

I'm not a fan of pistol grip shotguns and I have owned a couple. I definitely wouldn't recommend one for anyone unfamiliar with guns.
I would recommend a shotgun with a stock if the person in question knew how to handle one, that is if he was a hunter and had actually used a pump in the field. I think there would be less chance of him short-stroking the action on a pump if he had fired at multiple moving targets like dove or rabbits.

Is he a vet and familiar with the AR platform? As low as prices have gone that might be a better option.

A lot of older guys don't get the concept of a weapon-mounted light (my brother thinks it will 'make him a target') but I believe it's necessary on a home defense gun.

Something with a stock for sure, 20 ga 18" if it has to be a shotgun. Otherwise a 223/556 carbine would be much easier to shoot and much more effective (in terms of capacity, recoil, etc).

If you find a reliable one, the USGI .30 carbine is a good choice too.

6 lbs. short, with a 17.5” bbl.
Little recoil.
A 110 gr. soft point bullet at 1950 f.p.s. is decent protection.
The 15 round mags are handy.
Better than 5 round tube mags on 18” barreled shotguns.
You sir,must know my dad. He swears by the universal m1 carbine,with 2 -15 rnd mags duct taped and super glued together beside his bed. And if he runs out of ammo,he has a Smith victory model in the top drawer night stand.I tried to give him a glock 19 for Christmas last year. I can't repeat what he said about that.
If you find a reliable one, the USGI .30 carbine is a good choice too.

6 lbs. short, with a 17.5” bbl.
Little recoil.
A 110 gr. soft point bullet at 1950 f.p.s. is decent protection.
The 15 round mags are handy.
Better than 5 round tube mags on 18” barreled shotguns.

Asking for a mid framed sized senior citizen on which is better for home defense, the 835 46" long Ulti Mag or the short 590 Shockwave? Using low power shotgun shells, is the recoil difference that much? Recoil is the main concern.

Without having the opportunity to test fire each, which would you recommend- again, for HD?

Thanks

Remington debuted the Tac-14 in 20 gauge earlier this season.

If it’s a senior, and a shotgun is what it will be, I’d recommend a 20 gauge in 1100 with the 20” barrel, as it’s gas operated.

If that’s a no go, an 870 in 20 gauge with the 18” barrel.

Keltec KSG

KSG (1).jpg

I don’t think you would have a good effect with a shotgun in the house. If you were to shoot less than ten feet there is hardly no pattern, maybe four inches.
I would suggest a 2”-4” revolver in 38 special/357 mag with bird shot. My Mom used this prior to passing, (she was 72). Had no problems with recoil. If you want put a hollow point in the last two rounds.
Just my thought.

I know I am about to offend some of you, however if you live in a residential neighborhood a 223 is not ideal for home defence. You are firing a round that can easily penetrate your drywall and siding and then your neighbors and kill someone next door or down the street. Unless you live in a log or all brick home, a hi velocity rifle round in a neighborhood is a safety hazard. And you need to make dang sure you don't put a round through a window or door.

Back
Top Bottom