• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

For Snr. Citizen-which shotty: Mossberg 835 or Shockwave

A .50 BMG will do the job if the proper round is used and the perpetrator (bad guy) is standing at the precise location in the house when the rotation of the earth coordinates with the trajectory of the said over-sized round at the right temperature of the night is fired by an elderly mid 80's aged man, all the while screaming Adrian!
Yep, ignore logic. That's the best way to make a decision like this. Hey, it's only life or death.

We (most of us) do apologize as we didn't give you the opportunity you hoped for.
As I said in that thread, the response is what I expected.

The moment you find it necessary to exaggerate the apposing view, you have lost the debate. The more extreme the exaggeration, the greater the loss.

As I said in that thread, the response is what I expected.

The moment you find it necessary to exaggerate the apposing view, you have lost the debate. The more extreme the exaggeration, the greater the loss.

Like I said earlier... we can agree that we disagree but you just keep pushing the fact that a over penetrating round of a high powered rifle is a better close quarters home defense round than a contained shotgun round is asinie... But, ignorance is bliss. I now bow out as I cant argue with stupidity.

You think a .223 overpenetrates?

Did you research that, in tests with varmint ammo?
45-55 grain ballistic tips and soft points?
It fragments, makes HUGE wounds in several inches of tissue, but loses penetration very quickly in either flesh or building materials like wood or drywall.

It fragments, makes HUGE wounds in several inches of tissue, but loses penetration very quickly in either flesh or building materials like wood or drywall.
I don't want to argue which round or platform is best suited here. I just want to ask this question. If you fired the first round of .223 or 5.56 indoors at night wouldn't you then immediately be blinded and deaf for the next few very crucial minutes? I'm just assuming that the muzzle blast especially from short barreled pistol versions would be a camera flash right in your face and an air horn in both ears.

Ooo

So you are confident that the round you are using won't kill a police officer responding to your 911 call if you miss the bad guy? Show me a rifle round that can't go through dry and vinyl siding and still be lethal and I will show you round I dont want to be.useing for pd

Ooo

So you are confident that the round you are using won't kill a police officer responding to your 911 call if you miss the bad guy? Show me a rifle round that can't go through dry and vinyl siding and still be lethal and I will show you round I dont want to be.useing for pd

I do think the 300 blackout with a subsonic round would be ok. However I would not recommend an AR platform for someone with little knowledge of firearms who will most likely not spend much if any time training. A short barrel autoloader with #4 is pretty lethal at close range, patterns well enough at short distance, isn't terrible on recoil.
And recoil may not be a factor. My 74 year old dad and 76 year old uncle regularly shoot hot 454 loads. And the occasional 500. They would laugh at forks who think a 44 mag has a lot of recoil. So it depends on the person. Just because thy are elderly doesn't make them feeble

Back
Top Bottom