Frangible 90 grain 9mm projectile reloading

dial1911

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
99   0
Reaction score
Never used these before... but they were a good closeout deal on Midway awhile back. Now I'm finally about to start experimenting with a load for a G34.

My plan is to use reloading data from 90 grain projectiles for the powder and an overall length for a 115 grain FMJ (because the bullet material is less dense, the 90 grain frangible is about the same size as a lead/FMJ 115 grain bullet).

From some online reading, I see that a light crimp is recommended to keep from breaking the frangible bullet.

I'd like to get down to the lightest load that will reliably cycle the pistol... less recoil and quicker follow up shots. These loads will just be for Steel Challenge shooting and practice for those matches.

I think I'm starting with 4.5 grains of Bullseye and a COAL of about 1.12".

If anybody has any advice, I'm open to any suggestions-

Sounds like you are on the right track. I think the lead data would be a good start, I would use the data for the 115gr for powder charge as well. Length is the main factor in a pistol charge. If you use data for the 90 and it is the same length as the 115 then I believe you might have more pressure than you want. Definitely want to crimp due to the bullet not having a lot of gripping surface in the case. Hope this helps you.

Thanks!

I wish I had some 90 grain lead bullets for a comparison... but I can probably get the bullet length from RCBS or Lyman. I'll go take some pictures of the 115 grain and 90 grain projectiles...

Will a 90 grain bullet cycle a standard 9 mm? Will you need to replace the slide spring?

Don't know... this may be more of a learning experience than just changing the load recipe. I do have a couple spare Glock recoil spring/rod assemblies if I need to cut of a couple coils on the spring.

I have an old Sierra manual that has a loading for 90gr jacketed Hollow cavity. OAL 1.010"

Bulleye 4.2---5.0max
unique 5.5--7.5 max

1300fps to 1400fps from min to max both loads

test pistol was a Colt MK IV

seems like being a hollow point might make the length of the bullet similar also.

Last edited:
Yes... I was waiting until I get a chance for the do-over before posting the results.

So far the results are 4.5 grains of Bullseye and a COAL around 1.12" or so (I have the exact length at home) results in a G34 single shot. I mean it wouldn't run the slide back far enough to eject the brass- or even far enough for the brass to stove pipe.

I loaded 25 rounds and by the time I was done shooting them, I'd gotten good at pull trigger; rack slide; pull trigger; rack slide; ...repeat 23 more times.

So far the load is still "in development"

Guess that published load of 4.2 would be a pain. The load data has a couple of other powders listed also. If the bulleyes and unique will not work it holler and Ill look them up. I've got about 800 90gr RN so I've been watching to see what developed!

Update...

I loaded some of those 90 grain frangible bullets over 5.0 grains of Bullseye. COAL was about the same- 1.12" I think. And... It worked great. I'm glad to say that even the long G34 slide operated just as it should. I shot a video of the rounds being fired- I was hoping to be able to see how far the slide was actually traveling. The video is still on the camera- but I may be able to get around to editing it mid week.

Back
Top Bottom