• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freeze Dried Meals

I've made ice cream sandwiches before. Learned not to use Walmart brand as they were almost all air whpped in the ice cream. Fat Boy on the other hand turned out great. Only issue I had was someone kept eating them and calling them defective. But they were good. I've got strawberries with applesauce and dates in the machine right now for the little ones.
Allsmiles Allsmiles I looked into buying one of those but the start up cost is tough to stomach for how much I'd use it. I don't hike/camp so it's really just prepping food production. It was cheaper to just buy rice/beans and mylar to put back for emergencies for me.

I normally buy buckets of Mountain House to stash when Midway has a sale. If I'm going camping for a few days, I'll just buy an assortment from Walmart and leave the buckets sealed.
Was tempted to buy a heavily discounted bucket from Midway the other day, but have never eaten the brand, Readywise. Still might get it, 170 pouches for just over $100.

Allsmiles Allsmiles I looked into buying one of those but the start up cost is tough to stomach for how much I'd use it. I don't hike/camp so it's really just prepping food production. It was cheaper to just buy rice/beans and mylar to put back for emergencies for me.
Startup costs is high once you get everything including a good chamber vacuum sealer. Realistically, it is around $3800. We seem to be making a lot of stuff for the little grandsons (21 mo and 10.5 mo old). Between fruit and yogart dots, we have used it a lot. I do have meals, snacks, treats, and candy made up also. Our concern is that Newnan has been hit hard the last 2 years by weather events and we are not that far from them. Another thought is anything that I make today, I freeze the price inflation on it when it is used at a later date.

I'm not a picky eater; I've never thought the MREs were gross. They aren't as good as freeze dried or fresh food though. MREs are ultra processed since they retain liquid. Quality freeze dried food can have better ingredients and is less processed.

I have always used Mountain House when I backpacked but I have been wanting to try the Peak Refuel ones. They have more calories for the same weight. They are more expensive though so there’s that.

I have always used Mountain House when I backpacked but I have been wanting to try the Peak Refuel ones. They have more calories for the same weight. They are more expensive though so there’s that.
Big fan of the Peak Refuel (in fact I just bought a sweet pork and rice to try out this weekend on my trip), but yes they are very expensive. REI is having a labor day sale and has 25% off all Mountain House meals right now. Might be a good time to stock up for future trips or whatever for anyone interested

Anyone tried AlpineAire? They're slightly cheaper than Mtn House, but the expiry date is only 5 years. I bought a few from BassPro to try and they seem pretty good. Just wonder if they actually last longer than that though.

Back
Top Bottom