• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Freeze Dried Meals

Talos

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hew many foe-men.
66   0
Reaction score
So I've decided to start collecting freeze dried meals instead of MREs. They're tastier, lighter, and last longer. I'm not dropping a whole lot of money at once on this. I'm just making a point to buy one every time I go somewhere that has them, Walmart, Academy, etc. Does anyone else prefer them over MREs and what is the best way to store them? I'm thinking of just putting them in a large tote.

MRE are great when in a hurry or potable water is in question.

Freeze dried meals do taste better and tend to be healthier for you. The long term storage is a giant plus as well.

I have several different brands of freeze dried meals bought through out the years. But if I had to do it all over again, I would get a freeze dryer and make my own custom to my taste and dietary needs of my family.

IMO anyway...

I keep a dozen ice cream sammiches in each vehicle. Perfect emergency food with kid.

Stocked up
On some MH at home too. Salty and expensive per someone
I've made ice cream sandwiches before. Learned not to use Walmart brand as they were almost all air whpped in the ice cream. Fat Boy on the other hand turned out great. Only issue I had was someone kept eating them and calling them defective. But they were good. I've got strawberries with applesauce and dates in the machine right now for the little ones.

Attachments

• 20230716_152432.jpg
    20230716_152432.jpg
    233.3 KB · Views: 28
MREs are disgusting and the self life sucks. All those mountain house style meals are awesome with a 25 year self life.
Exactly why I'm going with MH.

I had a few cases of MRE's and went through one case trying them out. Some things tasted alright, but I can't stand the chemical preservative taste they have and re-tasting it when you burp along with the weird smelling farts... that can't be good for you. I've tried MRS's from other countries and they're much better. It's sad our government can't make better meals for our troops. Once I tried a few MH meals and seen how long they last I was convinced. I bet they last longer than 25 years. Only thing I see that can be improved is to have a little less sodium content but drink enough water and that'll be flushed out.

Back
Top Bottom