• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GA man arrested in NY w firearms, he's screwed

The laws up there suck. I have to drive up to Buffalo next weekend for a family event, and I have to leave my weapons at home. You can drive through NY with a weapon so long as it is unloaded and locked up separate from the ammo, but you can only stop for gas and to eat. No overnight stays. I also have to swing though NJ, and while I could probably hide a small revolver in the truck so that I have it with me in all the other states where it is legal for me to carry, it simply isn't worth the risk of getting pulled over for something stupid, having my car searched and being thrown in jail for a felony weapons charge...

So I will have to carry a knife as my only means of defense. Luckily, NY state and NJ knife laws are fairly liberal...

The laws up there suck. I have to drive up to Buffalo next weekend for a family event, and I have to leave my weapons at home. You can drive through NY with a weapon so long as it is unloaded and locked up separate from the ammo, but you can only stop for gas and to eat. No overnight stays. I also have to swing though NJ, and while I could probably hide a small revolver in the truck so that I have it with me in all the other states where it is legal for me to carry, it simply isn't worth the risk of getting pulled over for something stupid, having my car searched and being thrown in jail for a felony weapons charge...

So I will have to carry a knife as my only means of defense. Luckily, NY state and NJ knife laws are fairly liberal...
Might want to read up there as well. As recent as 3 years ago Tennessee had draconian laws on knifes.

Might want to read up there as well. As recent as 3 years ago Tennessee had draconian laws on knifes.

Knife laws in most states these days are pretty relaxed, so long as they are not automatics. TN does not ban automatics.

In TN, it comes down more to intent. If you are carrying a weapon with the intent to cause malice or harm, they can charge you with that.

From what I have researched, carrying a Spiderco Para 2 or ZT folder isn't banned in any state I will be traveling in.

It is just so annoying that I can legally carry in 34 states, but not those two that I have to drive through... I really wish that national reciprocity had been passed, but every time one of these national gun laws seems close to getting to a vote, there is a mass shooting and they scrap it...

And I won't be traveling through TN anyway, so there's that...

The only real restrictions on blades in NY and NJ are daggers, gravity knives, switchblades, etc...

A pocket folding knife is legal to own and carry. Not my first choice for defense, but better than nothing I guess...

And I won't be traveling through TN anyway, so there's that...

The only real restrictions on blades in NY and NJ are daggers, gravity knives, switchblades, etc...

A pocket folding knife is legal to own and carry. Not my first choice for defense, but better than nothing I guess...
Yeah TN relaxed them completely about three years ago. I was just commenting about checking and be sure because you can be surprised. Looks like you already studied up, good. .

Yeah, I usually look up the laws before I travel. Luckily, most states are pretty lax on knives so long as they are not automatics, and not some huge knife obviously meant for "combat"... Meaning your average 3-3.5" folding pocket knife, they won't have a problem with...

I considered just bringing the gun anyway and keeping it well hidden in the truck until I get back into PA where my permit is honored, but it just isn't worth the risk...

Back
Top Bottom