• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gas or electric stove

Previous house was electric, but we have gas at this house. Love it. I'd never want to go back to electric stove after this. I feel like I have a lot more control over what I'm cooking and how quickly I can heat up or reduce heat.

Gas all the way.

I assume your oven is below your cooktop from your oven question. My oven is gas but I don't know if you can buy a gas cooktop with electric oven.

If you can get a gas cooktop with the convection oven option I would vote that combo as the best.
Ours is gas on the stove top and electric on the oven. My wife and I both love the gas stove. She hates gas ovens because they don’t cook evenly when baking.

We have a Bosch dual fuel which is gas cook top and electric convection oven.
Oven bakes and cooks well.
Cook top has various size elements which seems to allow better control over high temp vs simmer uses.
When we redid kitchen and got this unit the conventional wisdom was electric oven was better for cooking as it maintained temps more accurately and was just a little less good for baking as gas created water vapor as it burned and kept baking items moist. Supposedly the newer gas ovens can maintain temps accurately so the advantage of electric disappears.

I think I've decided to get a gas oven, but picking one out has been a chore. Lots of them have small ovens, 5.3CF or less. Looking at the top LG, $2700 retail I can get here for $1K at the appliance center. Home Depot has the same one for $2200 on sale. 6.3 cubic foot oven.

We have gas cook top with electric convection oven all in one stove. The dealer said electric oven maintains temp better for baking which make sense since the the control band for on/off gas control is higher than electric (IMHO). Personally, the wife wants dual electric oven with gas cooktop.

BTW- unless your oven has a pilot light and I doubt any new ones do -- the oven ignitor control for the oven will not work without electricity. No power - no oven.

Go Wolf or go home...

IMG_5405.JPG

Is Wolf the brand? I used to deliver Viking in Savannah.

Looked at a Professional Series Frigidaire, $4400 retail, had a dent at the bottom that I could have taken care of. $1800. But it's a 36" width and I don't have that.
Show -off

That was last house.

And when we re-did the kitchen my wife knew exactly what she wanted. Found the cooktop at a local place advertised on craigslist open box floor models. This was years ago.

We moved in November and have monies put aside to re-do the kitchen here in a year or two. Just an observation - any money you put into making your kitchen better you will get back when you sell. And the best part is that you get to enjoy it until you sell!

Back
Top Bottom