• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gen5...here you go.

Do you like the new Gen5?

• Total voters
I saw and handled one today at Georgia gun store. The frame felt awkward and thin without the finger grooves to me, but I have large hands. The finish on the slide seems more durable. Only other noticable difference was the ambidextrous slide stop.

i.imgur.com_tgNgk9D.jpg

Had trouble getting much accuracy out of my gen 5 at first. Two weeks and probably a thousand plus dryfires later and I'm getting used to the trigger. Group on the left is Gen 5, group on the right is my beloved RTF. Neither are too shabby for offhand at 25 yards methinks. Both have similar downward movement on the barrel hood when in battery; I was hoping Glock had tightened up the tolerances a bit. Does anybody with a new gen 5 have one that is significantly tighter or more mechanically accurate than prior gens?

i.imgur.com_tgNgk9D.jpg

Had trouble getting much accuracy out of my gen 5 at first. Two weeks and probably a thousand plus dryfires later and I'm getting used to the trigger. Group on the left is Gen 5, group on the right is my beloved RTF. Neither are too shabby for offhand at 25 yards methinks. Both have similar downward movement on the barrel hood when in battery; I was hoping Glock had tightened up the tolerances a bit. Does anybody with a new gen 5 have one that is significantly tighter or more mechanically accurate than prior gens?
Looking at the spread, they aren't that different. Now, concentration is a slightly different picture. BUT, at 25 yards, they are both minute of human with no problem.

The question is, how did they compare in your hand while shooting? I personally like the finger grooves but larger handed people tend to shun them. Perfection isn't about a single one size fits all, it's about a line of guns that are closer to perfect for a wide range of shooters. BTW, I'm not a Glock fanboy, I have a few but they are nowhere near a majority in my safe!

Shot a Gen5 19 yesterday while helping a young couple at the indoor range I was practicing at. Didn’t realize it was a Gen5 until a few minutes after I fired it, when one of them mentioned it.

Looking at the spread, they aren't that different. Now, concentration is a slightly different picture. BUT, at 25 yards, they are both minute of human with no problem.

The question is, how did they compare in your hand while shooting? I personally like the finger grooves but larger handed people tend to shun them. Perfection isn't about a single one size fits all, it's about a line of guns that are closer to perfect for a wide range of shooters. BTW, I'm not a Glock fanboy, I have a few but they are nowhere near a majority in my safe!

I suspect there's a lot of human error in both, but still tighter than the average shooter can manage. I like finger grooves and RTF a lot better, but I do like the gen 5 beavertail when drawing from a holster. Gen 3 will probably be my go to gun for GSSF and Gen 5 for carry. I will keep playing around with loads to see if I can eke out a little more mechanical accuracy from one or the other. For anybody handloading for the gen 5, make SURE you punk-test your round and rework the load. The throat is way shorter than older Glocks. I've had to shorten my loads by 40 thousandths.

Back
Top Bottom