General ? Why do people refuse to ship firearms?

Let's break it down. Say the gun is $400:

First either I have to trust you with my $400 gun or you have to pay me first trusting me with your $400 cash. If someone tries to screw the thoer can you take legal action? sure but what a hassle.

Second, to ship a handgun requires using UPS or FEDEX only and they require it to be shipped overnight and marked on the outside of the box. I shipped a Kel Tec P3AT to Kel Tec once and it was $47. So someone has to pony up the extra dollars for shipping.

Third, half tyhe people working for UPS or Fedex have no idea of their own rules and try to make stuff up as they go along so you have endless nightmares trying to either educate these morons or find someone who DOES know the rule to ship it in the first place.

Basically it amounts to a huge risk and a huge pain in the butt. Better to just drive and meet. Besides, meeting fellow ODT'ers is a bonus to the deal.

For me, it's the aggravation of packaging it properly and such.
If I was desperately needing to sell something, then I would.

I generally trade for fun and entertainment.
For general trading around, packaging and shipping is too much
like work.

Now I get it.

Thanks for clarifying it up.

So it boils down to the hassle and cost.

I thought about it as well, I'm a pretty trusting person, but if I were to buy a $400 gun, I'd like to inspect it, possible slide and cock it to make sure it functions properly. It would be a total shot in the dark if I were to have it shipped if it's brand new in a box...

Thanks! No shipping for me.

It's not just the Firearms, I'll bet the Majority of all items on here are No Shipping. I don't get it? You really cut down on your Chances of Selling or what you can get for your Item, if your not willing to ship. Heck I'd ship my house, 25' Boat, and my Tahoe if someone was willing to Pay for It. I've shipped different weapons all over the US. People are willing to travel for Hours and Miles but not willing to ship. Let's see $50+ in gas + time or $5 small, $10 medium & $15 Large Flat Rate? Even if I have to ship through My FFL, he only Charges $25 Insured for a Rifle and even Boxes it. I just don't get it. Maybe you'd sell that $650.00 OD Hi Point.

Let's break it down. Say the gun is $400:

First either I have to trust you with my $400 gun or you have to pay me first trusting me with your $400 cash. If someone tries to screw the thoer can you take legal action? sure but what a hassle.

Second, to ship a handgun requires using UPS or FEDEX only and they require it to be shipped overnight and marked on the outside of the box. I shipped a Kel Tec P3AT to Kel Tec once and it was $47. So someone has to pony up the extra dollars for shipping.

Third, half tyhe people working for UPS or Fedex have no idea of their own rules and try to make stuff up as they go along so you have endless nightmares trying to either educate these morons or find someone who DOES know the rule to ship it in the first place.

Basically it amounts to a huge risk and a huge pain in the butt. Better to just drive and meet. Besides, meeting fellow ODT'ers is a bonus to the deal.

This about sums it up.

It is perfectly legal to ship longarms in Georgia between citizens. I have shipped in the past...but no more. In a nut shell, here's why:

Macon Post Office don't know their crack from a hat and WILL NOT ALLOW shipment of any firearms. (here comes the argument: yea, but they do ship, just print out their rules before you go and show them when you get there) The last time I tried shipping an M1 garand to a licensed gun smith, the government employees just about caused a panic in the post office. A GUN? YOU'VE GOT A GUN? YOU CAN'T SHIP THAT. Please get a supervisor. Supervisor comes out, calls the Main Post Office and says WE DON'T SHIP GUNS. meanwhile the civilians in the PO are looking at me like I just field dressed a third grader right there in front of them.

UPS main hub in Macon won't ship firearms from anyone except FFL to FFL. NOT EVEN C&R TO C&R. (here comes the argument: yea, but they do ship, just print out their rules before you go and show them when you get there) I advised the lady that they do indeed ship from individuals per their own rules as long as it is going to a receiving FFL. She picks up an ancient spiral notebook that's dogeared and yellow and says: WE GOES BY THIS BOOK AND UNLESS YOU ARE A DEALER YOU CANT SHIP. Supervisor, please. Supervisor: WE DONT SHIP FIREARMS UNLESS YOU ARE A DEALER.

Fedex, finally a place in Macon that will SHIP A FIREARM FROM AN INDIVIDUAL TO A RECEIVING FFL OR FROM ONE GEORGIA CITIZEN TO ANOTHER.
GREAT, right? Not so fast...the hook is this: They'll ship them...gladly...but if a firearm gets damaged, they WILL NOT HONOR THE INSURANCE. Yep...fine print in their policy says if the shipper and receiver are not both FFL holders, then no joy on the insurance. How do I know? I've had several damaged that cost me an arm and a leg. I called the FEDEX people and argued the claim. The fedex rep stated plainly that in their rules it states no shipping unless FFL to FFL. My argument: I told the clerk what it was, where it was going and showed him the license of the receiver. He said no problem and I even paid him for extra insurance.
SORRY, SIR HE SHOULD NOT HAVE LET YOU SHIP IT. IT'S NOT COVERED.
So, I had to refund the amount I sold the rifle for to the buyer; pay return shipping from Michigan to A LOCAL FFL holder, then had to go pay a transfer fee to get my broken rifle back.

I think that pretty much covers why I don't ship.**

**The only exception I have made to my "ain't gonna ship" rule is once: The buyer wanted me to ship him a collectible shotgun to him up in the northeast. I told him that I'd ship it, but it was his once it left my hands regardless of the condition upon arrival.
He agreed and I shipped it.

I hate to ship under those circumstances cause if does get damaged, the buyer is crap out of luck. That just aint right.

So, in summary: To all of you who have post offices and ups hubs that ship without hassle, count your blessings and ship on!

I will gladly ship mags, parts, etc etc but no ammo or guns.

Last edited:
A few horror stories and it sounds like there is allot of employees working for USPS and UPS that do not know their own rules. Legally you can ship long guns and handguns straight to the buyer's house as long as he is also a GA resident. UPS and FEDEX have their own rules that state overnight for handguns. YOU DO NOT MARK THE OUTSIDE OF THE BOX AS A GUN AND IT IS NOT REQUIRED. UPS and FEDEX did away with this stipulation long ago, why? well people saw it said it was a gun and they took it!.

It's easy enough to email the guys GA DL or Permit to prove who he is.

I will count my blessings as one fellow here suggested. My Mail Box Etc will ship firearms UPS or Fedex either FFL or GA resident to GA resident. They charge a very small fee to wrap and box the gun. They also gaurantee against damage. My local UPS Store will not ship guns (now that's stupid) but Mail Etc will ship UPS and it's picked up by the same driver!!

I only use Fedex or UPS and the last rifle I shipped to north GA was only $20 to ship it to the guy's house. I have also shipped handguns overnight it's not that expensive and factored into the price of the gun.

I live 5 miles from the FL border and I see several guns on the ODT I would like to own but NO SHIPPING.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom