• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Was nice to actually need the generator, the damned thing is 26 years old. That and the patch panel worked perfectly. We were out for almost 12 hours and that’s the longest its ever had to run. Loved the patch panel, freezer, garage, living room, fridge, sump pump and the furnace fan were all working with the flip of a switch! Gas was old with Sta-Bil in it, it coughed a little at first, moisture I guess, then smoothed right out.

It’s nice to be prepared! :becky:

I may purchase a Generac standby gen in the next year. I will probably get the option that switches automatically when it senses loss of utility power and then switches back when utility power is restored.

Any of you know of any considerations or potential gotchas or recommendations that you are willing to
share?

I may purchase a Generac standby gen in the next year. I will probably get the option that switches automatically when it senses loss of utility power and then switches back when utility power is restored.

Any of you know of any considerations or potential gotchas or recommendations that you are willing to
share?
If you have natural gas service at your home, go with that . If not, I would consider propane with as large a tank as you can afford, or at least capacity to run the generator for several days- longer is better.
And build a raised platform for the generator to protect it from flooding.

If you have natural gas service at your home, go with that . If not, I would consider propane with as large a tank as you can afford, or at least capacity to run the generator for several days- longer is better.
And build a raised platform for the generator to protect it from flooding.
Just find a military generator

share?
When you calculate the cost of operating one of these along with initial cost, over several days you might find it cheaper to just throw away whatever is in the freezer/fridge and stay in a motel for the duration of the outage. Everyone is in a different situation. It just didn’t add up for us. In a long term outage where fuel availability might be an issue it made even less sense.

When you calculate the cost of operating one of these along with initial cost, over several days you might find it cheaper to just throw away whatever is in the freezer/fridge and stay in a motel for the duration of the outage. Everyone is in a different situation. It just didn’t add up for us. In a long term outage where fuel availability might be an issue it made even less sense.
Totally agree it's not worth it that's why I said get a military diesel generator it doesn't cost the same to operate from what I was reading

Back
Top Bottom