• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

When you calculate the cost of operating one of these along with initial cost, over several days you might find it cheaper to just throw away whatever is in the freezer/fridge and stay in a motel for the duration of the outage. Everyone is in a different situation. It just didn’t add up for us. In a long term outage where fuel availability might be an issue it made even less sense.
That is something to think about

Totally agree it's not worth it that's why I said get a military diesel generator it doesn't cost the same to operate from what I was reading
We have a couple of small generators we have accumulated along the way. When power is out we use them to run the freezers and refrigerators and the battery backup for the phones and internet. We heat with wood, which influences my thinking on the subject a bit.

When you calculate the cost of operating one of these along with initial cost, over several days you might find it cheaper to just throw away whatever is in the freezer/fridge and stay in a motel for the duration of the outage. Everyone is in a different situation. It just didn’t add up for us. In a long term outage where fuel availability might be an issue it made even less sense.
And if it’s a wide-scale, extended outage?
Just treat it like a vacation, couple hundred miles from home, I guess.
Meanwhile, your pipes freeze and burst, pets and all indoor plants die. Come home to a real mess.

Back
Top Bottom