• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Perhaps it was just the gensets I was considering bidding on, didn't see a selector switch.
Google it here is one comment

Setting up a MEP-802A Military Genset for Portable Power Needs​

A good friend of mine bought a MEP-802A military genset recently. It so happened I was looking for ways to power a 240V arc welder and some larger 120V shop tools well away from any grid power hookups. I was considering renting a diesel powered welder / generator, but it turns out the military genset worked great instead.

I’m not buying another liquid-fueled generator. Gotten too old to eff with them. Trying to refuel in the cold and rain doesn’t appeal much anymore.
Fuel goes out of date, clogs the carburetor, or you’re stuck trying to dump gallons of out of date fuel.

I’m not buying another liquid-fueled generator. Gotten too old to eff with them. Trying to refuel in the cold and rain doesn’t appeal much anymore.
Fuel goes out of date, clogs the carburetor, or you’re stuck trying to dump gallons of out of date fuel.
10-4 that you have to maintain all that crap started every week let it run

10-4 that you have to maintain all that crap started every week let it run just like the big truck
17042211963083353252720436297122.jpg
17042211963083353252720436297122.jpg

And if it’s a wide-scale, extended outage?
Just treat it like a vacation, couple hundred miles from home, I guess.
Meanwhile, your pipes freeze and burst, pets and all indoor plants die. Come home to a real mess.
if These are concerns, by all means spend the dollars and be comfortable. As I stated, everyone has a different situation. I would personally rather cut the water, drain the pipes, throw my wife and dog in the car and buy a new African violet than pay $10k for a generator and fuel if those were my only choices. We heat with wood, an extended outage would be an inconvenience for us but we could ride it out indefinitely. YMMV.

if These are concerns, by all means spend the dollars and be comfortable. As I stated, everyone has a different situation. I would personally rather cut the water, drain the pipes, throw my wife and dog in the car and buy a new African violet than pay $10k for a generator and fuel if those were my only choices. We heat with wood, an extended outage would be an inconvenience for us but we could ride it out indefinitely. YMMV.
I totally agree camping trip permanently

When you calculate the cost of operating one of these along with initial cost, over several days you might find it cheaper to just throw away whatever is in the freezer/fridge and stay in a motel for the duration of the outage. Everyone is in a different situation. It just didn’t add up for us. In a long term outage where fuel availability might be an issue it made even less sense.
That’s ok until you can’t travel because of snow or trees blocking the roads like we had last summer because of a tornado.

Back
Top Bottom