• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Generator Thread ....When the power goes out...

Roll it out and roll it in after finished.
I think I’m ok let it storm.
Mobile .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 26
I have the older 8,500 Harbor Freight, uses .4 gallons an hour for 18+ hours of run time
stays full of gas with Sta Bil
oil changed every year
it has optional battery start, but I use the pull cord, it's tough to pull when cold
it has not let me down, very satisfied
I have 3 breaker panels,
it's hooked to the one that has circuits for the below
lights & receptacles in kitchen and living room
2 refrigerators
2 freezers
water heater
toaster oven
microwave
well pump
blower fan on wood stove
TV
basement lights & receptacles
pool pump

Our power goes out at least 3 times a year. Once this year for over 2 days. I would not be without a whole house generator. I would not want the responsibility of back feeding with a portable generator and forgetting to cut off the main breaker on my panel and electrocuting a lineman.
That’s why you have to have a transfer switch. That way there won’t be no chances of that back feeding power.

I am working on a plan to order a portable generator with a transfer switch and get my house ready. I think this year they will mess up with power many, many times.
I also have the Generac GP5500w portable generator that I keep on hand for lending to neighbors or using on search and rescue callouts. It will mostly run the whole house as well with the exception of the HVAC. I have a transfer switch wired in near the fuse box where I can plug it up and turn off the main breaker and turn on the generator breaker and any rooms I want to run. I had that in place before I got the whole house system. Redundancies can be a good thing.

Solar is goof for running light bulbs.....for only 2k+.....no thanks
Solar has its place.
The only place I would invest in a generator is Florida due to the heat. Being 67 the heat would be unbearable.
I am curious to find out the cost to run a generator for a week. I read earlier on past threads that someone mention 500.00 on propane for 3 days. That's 167.00 a day. Thats equivalent to a hotel stay.
However saving the food in the fridge and being home to protect valuebles is a plus.

Back
Top Bottom