• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia Weapons License Potential Denial

Nice, glad to hear...

I had a similar problem...got a pre-denial letter stating they could not issue without clarification on 3 misdemenors from 1995 to 1997...I had to go to Florida to get the dispositions from the clerk...

I was under the impression that there was a 5 year cap...I was wrong!

Probably a generic letter that goes out to anyone that warrants further investigation. Call the probate office and speak to a clerk. Many times these things can be clarified quickly...
A friend just went through this last month. Received basically the same letter after applying for his GWL because he had a possession charge from the 70's that was never settled by his lawyer. We had to talk to the DA and he dismissed the charge. You'll probably just have to show that things were settled.

This is from the FAQ thread for GA Laws:
Q: I was convicted of a misdemeanor marijuana charge in 1970, when I was 17. I have had a clean record since then. I am now over 55 years old. Can I obtain a license?
A: Yes, with the passage of SB308. You will not be eligible for a license if your conviction was within 5 years immediately preceding your application.

Q: I was convicted of a non-drug related felony years ago. I have had a clean record since then. What can I do to get my firearms rights back?
A: Contact the office that is in charge of granting pardons in the state you were convicted in. If it was Georgia that is the State Board of Pardons and Paroles.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom