• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Georgia Weapons License Potential Denial

How have you not been slammed by the FD if you have 9 speeding tickets in 7 years?

The CH plus traffic violations does show a history of poor decision making BUT there are very specific guidelines for a denial and I'm not sure I see anythng that would officially disqualify you. If you are an employee of the FD and a former Marine then those are pluses in your corner if it's a judgement call for the Probate judge. If you can get that info. in the judge's hand it would certainly help your cause.

So, I finally went and applied for my GWL a couple of weeks ago, I got a letter in the mail today that says I could potentially be ineligible to receive a license even if I am not prohibited due to : The court has concerns about your criminal history.

The only thing I have ever been convicted of was Disorderly Conduct (2007 - I was young, dumb and fresh out of USMC basic training.) I did my probation and paid the fine.
and possession of a fake ID (2008) - I had a drivers license that had been altered (to reflect that I was over 21 to drink - I know, stupid) Paid the fine.

Other than those 2 things I dont have anything that could deny me. Unless having 9 speeding tickets on your 7 year MVR has anything to do with it.

It says that I can request a hearing. Am I wasting my time? Should I go?

I doubt it's the disorderly conduct charge. I had one (ok, maybe more) from when I was 19 for fighting and I had no issues whatsoever getting mine in Gwinnett. Has it been more than 5 years? I know 5 years is usually the amount of time that has to pass since your last incident of "moral turpitude". Could be that, or the ID fraud may be weighed more heavily. I would do a bit of research into why so you know what angle to play on, and most certainly fight it. Just craft a very wordy, intelligent plea and state your case. I'm sure it will help that you have since been disciplined in the USMC. Go fight man, it's worth it (but don't get in an actual fight :)).

In barrow, the potential denial/denial letter states you have 10 days from receipt of letter to return the attached form and some $ (forgot amount) to get a scheduled meeting with Judge to discuss.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a friend that is a Police Officer in the Metro Atlanta area and he was denied a GFL last year.

I didn't think active LEO's needed a GFL

I feel like something is really slowing up all the processes. My boyfriend applied for his over two months ago now & we've not seen anything since. His records are clean. Only one speeding ticket I think but even that is so old that it's been dropped off his license.

I'm wanting to know what the hold up is. :/

I feel like something is really slowing up all the processes. My boyfriend applied for his over two months ago now & we've not seen anything since. His records are clean. Only one speeding ticket I think but even that is so old that it's been dropped off his license.

Sometimes it just takes long. We're talking about government workers shuffling paperwork here. They're not exactly known for their efficiency or outstanding customer service.

DeKalb brought an assault charge from 1979.I have had a permit since 1990 and they drag it from somewhere,found out it was dismissed and it cost me $5 for the letter to carry downstairs to the probate judge and that was it.

Mine in Rockdale county took 11 business days with a holiday throw in there.

He needs to call.

Back
Top Bottom