• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting ready for them turkeys!

So a guy told me yesterday that toms will not come to a call down hill??!! Is this true? I'm green as it gets on turkey hunting

If you get one hot enough, he will traverse any terrain or obstacle. Sometimes they will be reluctant to come downhill to your setup. I try to set up above or at the same level as the bird if possible. I usually avoid the bottoms of ridges anyways since it’s harder to hear the turkeys and I can broadcast my calls farther.

I covered a lot of ground this morning. I heard 5 birds gobbling, three of which were red hot and gobbling their heads off from 9:00-10:00 this morning. I made a move on a pair of Toms that were gobbling good, but as I closed the distance to about 100 yards, a small coyote came over the hill to my left. Instead of shooting her and ruining the hunt, I stomped at her and ran her off. I think she ran towards the turkeys, because they stopped gobbling and were gone from the area soon afterwards. I should have killed the coyote and been done with it.
1254DAA1-FB7B-4573-9D5C-96F19C4605D4.jpeg

Heck Yeah! Congrats Sam! That's a good looking bird. You're hooked now aren't you :)
thanks Casey! I'm for sure hooked now! Yesterday morning I actually missed a bird, I'm thinking it was this one actually, in the same spot. He was too far away in the morning. I went back in the evening set out 2 hen decoys and a jake decoy. I saw this one another jake coming through the wood along a fire break on back side of the food plot I was sitting on. I hit the call and got their attention. The came running to decoys struttin and gobblin. I busted him at 27 yards. I was shaking like a leaf haha.

Congrats on a great bird.
thanks!

thanks Casey! I'm for sure hooked now! Yesterday morning I actually missed a bird, I'm thinking it was this one actually, in the same spot. He was too far away in the morning. I went back in the evening set out 2 hen decoys and a jake decoy. I saw this one another jake coming through the wood along a fire break on back side of the food plot I was sitting on. I hit the call and got their attention. The came running to decoys struttin and gobblin. I busted him at 27 yards. I was shaking like a leaf haha.

thanks!

That’s what it’s all about! Congratulations on the first of many!

Back
Top Bottom