• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Getting ready for them turkeys!

it was a successful hunt, it got me addicted. He came in and left and I called him back and he was calling back. I gotta get used to diaphragm calls, I was using one of the knight and hale box calls that's on a spring with a plunger, I was doing a cutt purr when he responded and came back in.

May be a stupid question but when you get busted by deer does it tank your turkey hunt? The ones I heard gobbling this morning seemed like they were getting closer then got busted by two does and the gobbling stopped.

That’s what makes it so much fun-you get to match wits with turkeys and try to make them come to you when it’s actually the hens that normally come to them.

There is no such thing as a stupid question when it comes to turkey hunting.....it’s a learning experience every season, regardless of how long you have been doing it.
I would think that there is a possibility that if some deer busted you, they could have associated the deer’s reaction with a predator of some sort. I’m sure that they both feed off of each other in that regard. If you have a lot of coyotes, that could be the case.

Which diaphragm brand and calls is best for beginners?
The exact brand of call will be determined by what brand fits you best, since our palates are all different. For beginners, I would stick with a simple single or double reed call. Triple reeds and all of the funky cut reeds are for more advanced calling.
My personal preference is a Pecker Wrecker Calls Feather Duster.

it was a successful hunt, it got me addicted. He came in and left and I called him back and he was calling back. I gotta get used to diaphragm calls, I was using one of the knight and hale box calls that's on a spring with a plunger, I was doing a cutt purr when he responded and came back in.

May be a stupid question but when you get busted by deer does it tank your turkey hunt? The ones I heard gobbling this morning seemed like they were getting closer then got busted by two does and the gobbling stopped.

I have no doubt that animals warn each other, intentional or not. Squirrels have ruined more than one deer hunt for me, and I am certain spooked deer can ruin a turkey hunt. Turkeys may not look smart, but they are one of the smartest birds for sure.

I did not get to go this weekend. Too busy. Disappointing, but that's life.

I have no doubt that animals warn each other, intentional or not. Squirrels have ruined more than one deer hunt for me, and I am certain spooked deer can ruin a turkey hunt. Turkeys may not look smart, but they are one of the smartest birds for sure.

I did not get to go this weekend. Too busy. Disappointing, but that's life.
Turkeys are smart, too smart really. If they had a deer’s sense of smell, they’d be almost unkillable.
This year’s opener was one of the prettiest in recent years, hate that you missed it.
I was bummed to have to be working today, but I packed all of my stuff for a hunt after my shift ends in the morning.

Missed opening day, my kid had softball all day. Skipped church Sunday morning and went out. Called this one in for my buddy. Now it’s my turn, my property is covered up with turkey sign right now.

B4461B72-11E4-4DCF-BAFD-CA58B6BEFBFA.jpegD33EC275-D3C7-4DBB-BE47-BA4D63C811E8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom