• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Glock 19 raffle for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society

Thanks brother.. Im working nights this weekend if you give me a call on your way through I can meet you in clarkesville if not next weekend will be fine

As a member of Team in Training we get to choose a very special person to be our "honored hero" for our event. A good friend of mine lost his sister Naomi to Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). Here is Naomi's story. This is the reason I do this and why your donations are so important to so many people. I would love to thank the Lopez family for allowing me this honor to do this in Naomi's name.

Naomi Maria Jacinta Lopez was and is the beloved daughter of Michael and Kathy, sister of Jamie, Miranda, Rachel, Joseph, Jessica, Elizabeth, Bernadette, Joshua, Andrew, Bridget, Angelica and Veronica. In 2003 at the age of 13, Naomi was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia or AML for short. This cancer is in the blood and bone marrow and also doesn’t typically affect children but when it does it is a rapidly degenerative disease because of how it attacks the blood cells. The leukemic cells grow rapidly and block out production of white blood cells (the ones that fight infection) red blood cells and platelets. Naomi began feeling tired and would often rest after a few short steps. This was abnormal for the very active and sporty girl that she was. She would say several times she believed she had asthma because of her shortness of breath and tiredness. A doctor’s visit and some blood work later, they discovered her cancer. She was admitted immediately to the Denver Children’s Hospital. Her lack of energy was a sign of the rapidness of the growing leukemic cells. Naomi underwent several procedures including having a double-lumen broviac tube put in her chest right away. These tubes connected directly to the right atrium of her heart through the jugular veins. They use these lines for long-term intravenous access (administering chemotherapy, taking and giving blood, platelet transfusions). She had several bone marrow taps, titanium staples in her lung, and different painful infections because of her compromised immune system. The common cold could be deadly for her at this point. She fought hard through all of this and was able to come home intermittently when her counts were high enough. It was decided by her oncologists that she would need an allogenic bone marrow transplant. Every biological sibling of Naomi was tested and only two matched, Rachel and Joe. It was decided that Joe was the better candidate for this surgery in which they would take bone marrow from his hips and give it to Naomi. This is something extraordinary because as soon as Naomi started growing her hair back her features become more like Joe’s. Her hair became curly like his etc. She went from O negative blood type to his B positive blood type. She was then considered to be in remission. In 2004, Naomi’s Make-A-Wish was granted and the Lopez Family went to Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando, FL. Naomi was attending regular monthly doctor’s visits to make sure her cancer was still in remission. She was growing her hair back and was looking forward to her freshman year at Denver West High School. The happiness of her cancer in remission would be short-lived. In October 2004 Naomi began having what she described as flu-like symptoms at school. She was taken to the hospital where blood work revealed her leukemia had come back. When cancer of this nature comes back after a bone marrow transplant, there are little options for that patient especially if that patient is a child. Around Thanksgiving of 2004, Naomi’s oncologist revealed to the family that she would succumb to the disease in a matter of weeks to months. She celebrated her last Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s and Valentine’s Day with her family all while growing sicker with each passing day. On the morning of February 16, 2005 at the age of 15 years old, Naomi, who had visibly suffered and had looked like she was close to death for weeks, finally lost her battle with leukemia at home surrounded by immediate family. The outpouring of love and support from the Presentation of Our Lady Catholic Church community, which Naomi had attended all her life and served on the altar, was amazing. She is remembered as having a caring heart, a bright smile and for loving God and her family with all her heart.

There are still plenty of tickets left for the second Glock.. Brand new Gen 4 19,.. the first raffle took just over 3 weeks to sell the 500 tickets i would love to see these go just as fast so I can raffle the AR-15... I will also be at the meet and greet sunday at Sweetwater Creek State Park. I'm looking forward to meeting every one.

Back
Top Bottom