• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

GM Chevy 2500 instrument cluster repair recommendation needed

If you're remotely mechanically inclined, buy new stepper motors and do it yourself to save some coin. I would also suggest that you make sure the LED replacements are at the vey least CANBUS so you don't have flickering show up from the minute voltage irregularities in the charging system. LED lights are very sensitive since such a small amount is needed to drive them and can burn out at an enhanced rate. I know some had bad ignition switches causing cluster problems as well but most likely it is the stepped motors themselves. 99-02 were not of the same design and usually don't have problems unless the fuel level sending unit goes bad like most have.

I have been debating tackling it myself. I like doing the bolt on items (upgraded side view mirrors, a full roll cage and baja tire carrier in a 75 bronco I owned - that type of DIY) but for some reason electronics make me hesitate. Always think I am going to break something and then it will be really costly. Thank you for the info on the LEDs, I will inquire as to what type they use.

I have been debating tackling it myself. I like doing the bolt on items (upgraded side view mirrors, a full roll cage and baja tire carrier in a 75 bronco I owned - that type of DIY) but for some reason electronics make me hesitate. Always think I am going to break something and then it will be really costly. Thank you for the info on the LEDs, I will inquire as to what type they use.

Have you fixed the cluster yet? I pulled my cluster yesterday and called MyAirBags to see if it would be ok to drop it off to be repaired and to double check the price. Good thing that I did as they lady told me that it was $85 plus $12 for each stepper motor, almost doubling the price. Looks like I'm going to be buying the motors and bulbs online and changing them myself. Damn

Have you fixed the cluster yet? I pulled my cluster yesterday and called MyAirBags to see if it would be ok to drop it off to be repaired and to double check the price. Good thing that I did as they lady told me that it was $85 plus $12 for each stepper motor, almost doubling the price. Looks like I'm going to be buying the motors and bulbs online and changing them myself. Damn

Unfortunately I have not yet had the down time. I have been driving the truck a lot particularly on weekends when I would normally have the time pull the dash. My cluster ranges from no speedometer and oil pressure gauge to no gauges at all. I was actually planning on pulling it the weekend after Thanksgiving and taking it there the following week for the rebuild.

Unfortunately I have not yet had the down time. I have been driving the truck a lot particularly on weekends when I would normally have the time pull the dash. My cluster ranges from no speedometer and oil pressure gauge to no gauges at all. I was actually planning on pulling it the weekend after Thanksgiving and taking it there the following week for the rebuild.

I have a correction on my post about the additional charge. I got a hold of a guy that works there and he said the addition charge was for '09-'02 Chevys and that the price on their site was correct. It is $85 for changing out all stepper motors so I'm going to drop mine off tomorrow.

My cluster was acting like yours is except my speedometer works ok but the tach was acting all screwy along with the oil pressure gauge. My understanding is that it's ok to drive with the instrument cluster removed if that would make getting it fixed any easier.

I have a correction on my post about the additional charge. I got a hold of a guy that works there and he said the addition charge was for '09-'02 Chevys and that the price on their site was correct. It is $85 for changing out all stepper motors so I'm going to drop mine off tomorrow.

My cluster was acting like yours is except my speedometer works ok but the tach was acting all screwy along with the oil pressure gauge. My understanding is that it's ok to drive with the instrument cluster removed if that would make getting it fixed any easier.

I’ll try and help you guys out that may not know. The 99-02 used air core motors vs the stepper motors that you commonly see on the 03+ clusters. The reason you don’t see them much and they are more expensive is they don’t usually go bad and are very resistanct to vibration. They do rely heavily on a good ground and proper voltage application because of the independent coils within them. If you’re having problems, which my ‘01 was, I would be highly suspect that a ground or wire somewhere could be causing problems.

I had a spare cluster from a friend’s donor truck that I swapped in mine and had the same issues. The fuel was a given as the old sender was done in by today’s ethanol fuel and returned to normal after replacement with a new pump. The oil pressure bouncing and occasionally the tach not working both ended up being a bad ground and loose joint. There isn’t much to go wrong with them because of the design, hence why they’re the most popular type Autometer sells. I would honestly look things over very carefully before spending your money to find out that wasn’t the problem.

I’ll try and help you guys out that may not know. The 99-02 used air core motors vs the stepper motors that you commonly see on the 03+ clusters. The reason you don’t see them much and they are more expensive is they don’t usually go bad and are very resistanct to vibration. They do rely heavily on a good ground and proper voltage application because of the independent coils within them. If you’re having problems, which my ‘01 was, I would be highly suspect that a ground or wire somewhere could be causing problems.

I had a spare cluster from a friend’s donor truck that I swapped in mine and had the same issues. The fuel was a given as the old sender was done in by today’s ethanol fuel and returned to normal after replacement with a new pump. The oil pressure bouncing and occasionally the tach not working both ended up being a bad ground and loose joint. There isn’t much to go wrong with them because of the design, hence why they’re the most popular type Autometer sells. I would honestly look things over very carefully before spending your money to find out that wasn’t the problem.

Thanks for the information.

Back
Top Bottom