• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

good cheap cars with great mpg

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
after driving my grand marquis to the nursing home everyday 1-2 times i have realized that when it is not going 65+ mph contantly it gets bad mpg(i know unheard of)

so i decided to looks into possibly getitng a small cheap car to go back and forth to the bursing home and the local shopping, saving my grand marquis for long trips.

what are some good cheap cars that can easily get 30+ mpg, i prefer 4 doors(i'm thinking dodge neon size), it can be old as dirt and look worse then dirt as long as it runs so the looks are not a big factor either.

my dad has a 93 dodge neon that gets 30+ easily so i'm thinking to stay in that category possibly a hatchback and they should have a reliable small engine

Last edited:
A friend of mine has an older Civic that gets damned near 40 on the highway, but I'm not sure about in town. It's probably pretty decent though.

hondas usually have a mark up due to being the go-to, but my brother drives my old one, and its gotten used and abused by two young drivers for the last 315k miles, while getting 30 mpg, it is a 98 accord

Nissans carry less of a premium, and the altima i had was great till I ran it into a BMW. Sentras get 30+, especially if you get a stick

I bought a little beater car earlier this year. Found a good running and driving 99 Nissan sentra 4-door with 175k on it for $1000. Gets 32mpg avg. great running reliable little car, cheap insurance too.

you can't really go wrong with any four cylinder Japanese car stay away from mazdas though their parts are up there with Mercedes$$$ or if you're looking for a truck go for a Toyota pickup from the early 90's with a 22 re motor they get great gas mileage never break down plus you can haul stuff

I have a 2000 Hyundia Accent that I have owned since it was new. It has 180k and runs great with very few repairs. It get 37-40mpg depending on how much you run the AC!

My best friend drove an old Mazda protege for years and it got ridiculously good gas mileage. Only had like 98 hp though and vibrated like mad if you went over 70 mph.

Look into a manual transmission for whatever you decide on.

I have a 2000 Hyundia Accent that I have owned since it was new. It has 180k and runs great with very few repairs. It get 37-40mpg depending on how much you run the AC!
My Honda Fit looses ~5mpg if the airs runnin, 1.4 liters of fury dosent go too far
Yea I drive a Fit, Folks that have met me for ODT deals know, "just look for the blue easter egg lookin car"

Back
Top Bottom