• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Good rum that doesn't break the bank ?

Boogar Presley

Army Icon Supporter
Ordinary average guy
25   0
Reaction score
I like Pyrat rum. It's not top shelf but it suits me. A bottle usually last me a year-ish and I just finished it off a few days ago. Go down to Lutherville to pick up another bottle and they don't carry it anymore. I grabbed Capt Morgan on the advice of a friend. It sucks. I tried Kracken spiced rum, it sucks even more than Capt Morgan.
I hate these weak chick rums that have nothing other than a "fruity" taste. Irritated on a Friday evening with this weak as piss Capt Morgan and Kracken I just wasted a trip to the store for.
Any good rums that don't break the bank ?

20230709_221929.jpg
Aged 15 years. There's also Gunpowder Strength if you like a little more kick.
It's a little more pricey than your Cpt Morgan or the Kraken type rums but still at a lower price point then the truly premium rums.

I like Pyrat rum. It's not top shelf but it suits me. A bottle usually last me a year-ish and I just finished it off a few days ago. Go down to Lutherville to pick up another bottle and they don't carry it anymore. I grabbed Capt Morgan on the advice of a friend. It sucks. I tried Kracken spiced rum, it sucks even more than Capt Morgan.
I hate these weak chick rums that have nothing other than a "fruity" taste. Irritated on a Friday evening with this weak as piss Capt Morgan and Kracken I just wasted a trip to the store for.
Any good rums that don't break the bank ?
Ron Zacapa 23 year (my favorite Rum)
El Dorado 15 (a very, very close 2nd)
Brugal is delicious as well.
Havana Club is great if you get the Cuban one, not the knock off available in the US.
Angostura 1919 is pretty good, too.

Check and make sure it’s not spiced rum or Jamaican Rum.

I think the first thing to consider is spiced vs non-spiced, and if spiced, just how much.

Being brought up in a Royal Navy household, I got early exposure to the traditional Lamb's Navy Rum which is great for mixers and while it's sold as having 'some spice', it's really not what you'd call spiced at all. If you can't find Lamb's, Pussers is a good alternative as noted by HERMET HERMET .

Myers' Dark is pretty good too.

For a lightly spiced rum - the Ron Zacapa that WallsGa WallsGa noted above is a good sipping rum.

I have no time or interest in highly spiced variants like some of the weird **** Captain Morgan and some other brands produce, so you're on your own there, or relying on the advice of strangers.

Oh, Appleton is really good. And Kirk and Sweeney, but I hate the bottle shape sooooo much.
Kirk and Sweeney USED to be good. They got in trouble a few Years ago if you hadnt noticed they arent aged anymore. The quality went downhill which is really upsetting because the 23 year was my absolute favorite rum ever

Back
Top Bottom