• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Google Maps is an evil experiment in control?

Get on your tin-foil hats, ladies and gents, I have a renewed conspiracy theory.

I'm pretty old school when it comes to trips. I always plan out routes but have learned to use either google maps or Waze to avoid accidents and make the best time.

Several years ago while driving to Alabama, google maps told my lovely bride to get us off the main roads north or the ATL in order to avoid an accident and save time. After about the tenth stop sign and crazy turn through a residential area, I took over the navigation and driving and got us the heck out of shady-town. I remember thinking, "how is this saving us time?" during that experience.

Fast forward to today on my way home from a fairly long distance trade when google maps told me to make a turn off the rural highway I was on and began taking me down a bunch of side roads with multiple stop signs and turns. Again, how was this saving me time? Every stop takes time and burns gas. So after about five stops and turns I said "heck with this" and self navigated back to where my internal compass told me the rural highway was.

There was no obvious traffic slowdown, and very very few cars on the road.

So, my paranoid brain is now rethinking that google maps has some form of sick experiment mode that just wants to see if drivers will follow its absurd directions. And I do mean absurd multiple turns and many stops worth of directions.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.
I have thought this as well. Also, I think "they" may be directing traffic to prevent problems from developing instead of actually reporting existing problems.

Google maps has settings for " Fastest route " OR "Shortest route"
Once you choose 1 of these in "Alternate Routes" it will remember your choice until you change it again.

As with all computers or electronics. The object is only as smart as its operator.

Sometimes it'll change your route according to the distance/gas usage. Idk... Maps rarely gives me anything but the quickest and shortest trips. Usually accurate within 2-3 minutes of the estimated time.

I use it almost every time i go somewhere, we live 25 miles outside of the city and im not from here.

I fell for the reroute a few times on long trips. Not anymore. They always put you on small slow roads and your not the only one. They jam up the side streets In the small towns. I now stick with the hwy/interstate route. I tell my wife there’s only one way they know a reroute is faster and we’re not going to be their test dummy.

I fell for the reroute a few times on long trips. Not anymore. They always put you on small slow roads and your not the only one. They jam up the side streets In the small towns. I now stick with the hwy/interstate route. I tell my wife there’s only one way they know a reroute is faster and we’re not going to be their test dummy.
We almost did… once.
Got off the interstate, stopped at a gas station at the exit, local gal said so many people were being rerouted that there was a 2 hour backup on local highways.
Thanks, hon. Back on the interstate.

Back
Top Bottom