• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Navigating before Waze & Google Maps

JimmyJet

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
19   0
Reaction score
Found this gem in an old camera bag…. does anyone else remember sitting shotgun on road trips and navigating for dad before the advent of smart phones and GPS?

26430c51e7cc1d75807c8b1bab36f5f2.jpg

afa74173febe011e9cfb0a4f628ef88a.jpg

2d3d42c8b95df4a822e5a251aa3c622b.jpg

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Found this gem in an old camera bag…. does anyone else remember sitting shotgun on road trips and navigating for dad before the advent of smart phones and GPS?

in the late 90's my wife and I did motorcycle touring. (my granny was a member of triple A and would get me plenty of maps.) Before breakfast we would pull the maps out-plan a route and place the piece of paper in the clear part of our tankbags. Lunch would find us routing to a campground couple hundred miles away. Still love and use maps...

I remember exactly when I learned that women can't read maps (it's something in their genes).
We where winding our way threw the mountains of North Carolina and Virginia on a road trip.
I had my hands full with driving so I turned map duties over to my wife.
After driving awhile we came across a sign "Welcome to Martinsville Virginia"...cool Martinsville, kept going.
Drove for another 1 1/2 hours under my wife's direction when we came across another sign that said..."Welcome to Martinsville Virginia ".
Never asked her to read a map again.

I remember exactly when I learned that women can't read maps (it's something in their genes).
We where winding our way threw the mountains of North Carolina and Virginia on a road trip.
I had my hands full with driving so I turned map duties over to my wife.
After driving awhile we came across a sign "Welcome to Martinsville Virginia"...cool Martinsville, kept going.
Drove for another 1 1/2 hours under my wife's direction when we came across another sign that said..."Welcome to Martinsville Virginia ".
Never asked her to read a map again.

TRUTH! My sister-in-law could get lost in a paper bag….

As a kid I lived maps. After college graduation, pre cell phone, drove across country alone with just a RandMcNally. Today I doubt I could drive to work without Waze.
The dumbing down is real ..

Often times I muse to myself…."what did we EVER do and how did we survive without Google Maps?!"

And watching someone trying to fold one of those in the front seat of a car! :pound:

Back
Top Bottom