• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got a chance to see how I react to potential home threat

Eshrote

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
25   0
Reaction score
Yesterday, as I was upstairs, I hear an adult voice. Knowing only my 10 yr old son was home, it took me a second to realize something was out of place. I picked up the M&P 40c, locked, loaded and put it in the small of my back. I get to the top of the stairs, I see my son. He tells me, "papa, there's a man in the kitchen". I ask him, "what man", he says, "I don't know". I immediately mentally cycled thru my next actions. I walked slowly walk downstairs, waved to my son to come up towards me. I turn the corner, only exposing half my body, with my hand on the weapon in the small of my back.

I see an old man, in golf clothes. He looked to be around 75 years old. He looked surprise, and tells me he's the electrician and came to check out the double oven my wife had called about and since he was in the neighborhood, he figured he look at it to see if he needed to bring help next week. Basically, he was not expected to be here at this point in time. My son had let him in thru the garage door. While talking to the man, I give my son a look of " oh man, do you have a long talk about security coming to you" look.

After the man leaves, I hold a rhetorical questioning session with my son covering all the things he did wrong and all the things that could have gone wrong. I told him he's lucky it was an innocent man trying to get ahead on his work and nothing more. I told him, he could have been in a far worse situation and it could all have gone bad so fast before I could even get downstairs or even hear anything. NEVER LET ANYONE IN unless I know about it first. The electrician broke some standard adult protocols by coming in from the word of a 10 yr old and not knowing if an adult was around. I told him the man was lucky not to have had a weapon pointed at his face.

My mental after actions review of the situation showed me that under real word circumstances, though the threat never materialized, that I still do what I did when I used to turn corners with a weapon for a living. But this time, as life and conditions had changed and rules of engagement not so obvious, I was more reserved and restrained in exposing the weapon. I think I did so cause my spidey senses didn't go to full tingling. I was somewhat happy to find that my mind and thoughts were still deliberate, that my movement and actions went right back to years of training. I'm also glad that civilian life gave me a little restraint not to turn the corner with the weapon drawn. Oh, and I found that when confronted with a need to make a quick choice, I grabbed the M&P 40c vs the Sig P220. But I think I did so cause I felt I wanted it concealed so I could back down the situation in case the threat subsided with no action needed. I'm glad I did that. I happy I didn't give a old man a heart attack. In the end it was a good real world mental test with no actual threat.

You handled it very calmly. The 75yr old man is the problem in this case. What business person walks into a stranger's garage and knocks on the door to get permission to enter a house from a 10yr old kid. Why didn't he use the front door? Why didn't he call first? Why didn't he ask to speak to the mother or father before he dared to come into your home? That moron would not be coming back to my house (something wrong there).

You handled it very calmly. The 75yr old man is the problem in this case. What business person walks into a stranger's garage and knocks on the door to get permission to enter a house from a 10yr old kid. Why didn't he use the front door? Why didn't he call first? Why didn't he ask to speak to the mother or father before he dared to come into your home? That moron would not be coming back to my house (something wrong there).

Yep, I would have having a talk with the man as well and informing him that he was about 1/2 second from looking down a barrel and that he should re-think his
manner of entering stranger's homes.

^^^This. I would have told him that he needed to leave. He clearly showed poor judgment when entering the home. I'm not sure I would trust his professional talents any more so. Glad all went well without incident and that we didn't see you on the news.

I was fairly calm and in retrospect, pretty happy that I still was able to keep calm. I attribute that to my Army Ranger days, as the level of intensity was certainly below tossing in a flash bang and going in with night vision and IR lights. But, you just don't know until you find out how you'll react. Its a different time, I'm a different person, and life has changed. My son is in the area, in in a nice neighborhood, a above average safe neighborhood, but not an immune to trouble neighborhood. All that and more gets crunched by the brain and spits out some sort of action. Had that man not been a frail old man, actions may have been different. I was taught to listen to my instincts and I did and happy for the ending. I still have an electrician, I didn't make the news and my son and I both learned a little something. I think the overall message is, yes, be cautious, but give restraint of actions a chance, a split second of that may save things from a bad day, but don't be so restrained that you're completely exposed with not way of escalating to meet the threat

Glad it all worked well. I had a roofer do the same type of thing to my wife. He was not scheduled to come by and was in the area working another job. He didn't call and didn't knock on the door. 8am and he grabs his ladder and props it on my house and starts walking around. I was at work and my wife and kids were asleep. The kids woke her up and tell her someones on the roof. She had her gun ready and yelled out the front door and aksed who the hell was on the roof and the guy yelled back and came down and apologized several times for scaring them. We had another woman pull through our gate and park behind the privacy fence an dget out like she lived at our home. My 12yr old daughter was out back and spots the woman who then asks if mommy or daddy are home. My daughter runs in the house and gets my wife who confronts the woman and the lady climbs back in her car and speeds away. The same woman was arrested the next day for pulling into our neghbors garage and stealing what she could grab. It's a different time and you have to be careful.

Many moons ago, growing up in Clayton County before it was the hood, we lived waay off the road and had a number of out-buildings. I was probably about 12-14 and had grown up around guns. I was home alone and two guys pull up in a van, drive behind one of the outbuildings and start rummaging. I watched them for a few min and then went outside to ask what they were doing. They blew me off, saying somebody sent them to pick something up and to leave them alone. I calmly went back inside, picked up a pump 12-ga, loaded a few rounds, and walked back outside. They didn't see me when I asked them again why there were there, but as soon as they heard the pump cycle they were running like greyhounds back to their van. Funny, I never saw them again.

I got off work early one day, a rare occasion. I called my wife on the way home but she didn't answer, not so rare. When I got home, there was nobody downstairs so I put a few things away and probably made a lot of noise. When I approached the stairs, my wife and her friend were just standing at the top wide eye'd.

When they realized it was me and not a crazed drugged-out serial rapist, they were pretty relieved. We had a talk about not just standing there waiting to see if you're about to be killed or not. :doh:

Many moons ago, growing up in Clayton County before it was the hood, we lived waay off the road and had a number of out-buildings. I was probably about 12-14 and had grown up around guns. I was home alone and two guys pull up in a van, drive behind one of the outbuildings and start rummaging. I watched them for a few min and then went outside to ask what they were doing. They blew me off, saying somebody sent them to pick something up and to leave them alone. I calmly went back inside, picked up a pump 12-ga, loaded a few rounds, and walked back outside. They didn't see me when I asked them again why there were there, but as soon as they heard the pump cycle they were running like greyhounds back to their van. Funny, I never saw them again.
--- fricken awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

I got off work early one day, a rare occasion. I called my wife on the way home but she didn't answer, not so rare. When I got home, there was nobody downstairs so I put a few things away and probably made a lot of noise. When I approached the stairs, my wife and her friend were just standing at the top wide eye'd.

When they realized it was me and not a crazed drugged-out serial rapist, they were pretty relieved. We had a talk about not just standing there waiting to see if you're about to be killed or not. :doh:
pics of friend..:)

Back
Top Bottom