• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any foundation pros willing to give a guess?

Looks like a bad cold joint. Poured footings first and proceeded with the slab.

I’m not an expert… but that looks just like the house I owned in Sugar Hill. It looked like that 25 years ago and still looks like that today.
Not an expert here. Looks like my 3 car garage. Footings poured first. Dirt added inside and packed. Then slab floor poured. Where floor meets footer mine looks exactly like that. Reduce your offer because of the crack and you can buy you a new weapon. Lol lol

They used to pour the footings first, maybe some pier holes for heavy loads in specific areas, then come back later and pour the slab. They do monolithic pours now, meaning they pour the footings and slab all at once. I used to help rough in the plumbing with my dad’s plumbing business. I remember we used to talk about not having a crawl space and how difficult repairs would be.

unfortunately very common with turn down slabs - its a cool joint (called cold joint when poured over firm or hard layer - one part of the slab, the base layer or first lift is poured then some delay happens and another layer is poured sometimes to avoid buying or placing chairs to keep the mesh of rebar or wire at or near the center of the slab sometimes because truck delays miscalculations etc.... all concrete cracks and separates over time as it hardens. if there are signs the house has moved its a problem if there is no movement or cracks its not bad yet. A residential slab is not like a bridge or caisson its really only as good as what its on if the yard is moving downhill the house will too - usually grading or drainage control can mitigate that for a cost. If there are isolated or separate footings the slab cracking and spalling is not critical if the turn down or thickened part at the perimeter is the footing and its holding up a wall which is holding up a roof its a concern. usually you can see deflection or cracking along the wall if the load is crushing the slab

So I see no apparent problem. I saw a foundation repair support in one pic. I bought a 55 yr old house. It needed foundation repairs. Cost me $7k with a lifetime warranty. I did get a good deal on the house.
A poured slab will never be perfectly level. This is the deal, most people don't know what they're looking at. So always cause for concern. When the day comes for you to sell that home, the next buyer will have concerns too. Something to think about. You may have other issues you can't see. I'd think since you had an inspector, he may have checked and found a lot of things. I've death with home inspectors before, I'm really not that impressed with them. But the guy that inspected my home I sold did find a couple things that I missed. Of course I fixed them, not a big deal. I'm a licensed builder. Worked in residential construction for a builder for 40+ yrs. Almost all my experience is in new homes.
Look closely at the sheetrock joints and corners inside the house. Look for cracks, repaired areas, joints that aren't straight and bowed walls. If everything looks straight, you're probably good. Check the doors for fit and operation. Check all margins around the doors and trim look good. If the door can't stay open at half swing, it's not plumb. Could be a sign. But I'll tell you a lot of trim carpenters either don't take the time or know how to hang a door. If the floor is way out of level, that could be a problem. You should be able to walk across the floor and not really notice any real differences. Look at the windows for fit and operation. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom