• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got a chance to see how I react to potential home threat

I had a similar experience a while back.

I have a chain link fence around the back yard. The kids were in the back yard on the playset. I have a chain and lock on all gates leading to the back yard. I was sitting down inside the house when I saw someone had hopped the fence and was walking towards the children. (walking towards lots of things... but my concern was kids)

I yanked the door open and yelled.. she stopped. She had a notepad. She said she was with the phone company and they were doing a survey. She had no ID, no vehicle within sight, no uniform or vest, and no special equipment. I told her she had 30 seconds to find her way back over the fence and called the boys into the house.

I went through the house to meet her in the front yard. She kept up her story and I told her that hopping fences into back yards with kids could end very poorly for her and she may want to rethink that approach.

I was open carrying my 92FS, typical for around the house.

Looking back I should have called the police as well.

I had a similar experience a while back.

I have a chain link fence around the back yard. The kids were in the back yard on the playset. I have a chain and lock on all gates leading to the back yard. I was sitting down inside the house when I saw someone had hopped the fence and was walking towards the children. (walking towards lots of things... but my concern was kids)

I yanked the door open and yelled.. she stopped. She had a notepad. She said she was with the phone company and they were doing a survey. She had no ID, no vehicle within sight, no uniform or vest, and no special equipment. I told her she had 30 seconds to find her way back over the fence and called the boys into the house.

I went through the house to meet her in the front yard. She kept up her story and I told her that hopping fences into back yards with kids could end very poorly for her and she may want to rethink that approach.

I was open carrying my 92FS, typical for around the house.

Looking back I should have called the police as well.
Jumping fence is breaking and entry

I've got to say that I'd be highly suspect of any person that would enter a home with a child without an adult being notified prior. He might be a "nice guy" or whatever or he could be a child molester that uses that tactic to look for soft spots in his target. Now he's gain familiarity with your son and knows he can potentially gain access using that to his advantage. Happens all the time and it's hardly ever someone you'd expect (teachers, someone giving piano lessons, coaches, ect..).

I saw it too many times during my time in LE. Maybe I'm paranoid from it but that guy would be on top of my watch list and receive a stern warning to never return to my home without notification first. End of story.

yeah.. old man was wrong in this day and age... However, before you point all the blame on him, he grew up an COMPLETELY different time. Where it was probably common practice to just swing by unannounced and walking into someones house at the invite of child was a non-issue.

He is a product of a different era, a simpler time when we were not all afraid of each other and didnt have multiple locks on our doors.

OP did good. Doubt I would have reacted the same way and as calmly. I would have had weapon drawn, called my kid up to me and the instructed the guy to leave from upstairs.

Glad it worked out

I agree with both thoughts, keep an eye and give some credit that he is of a different generation. When I say 75, that was on the optimistic side, I'd think maybe verging on the 80's. Once I say he was physically a non threat to us, even if he meant harm, it was ok. I doubt he could keep hold of my 10 yr old much less pose any significant threat. All comes down to instinct and judgement..everything does

yeah.. old man was wrong in this day and age... However, before you point all the blame on him, he grew up an COMPLETELY different time. Where it was probably common practice to just swing by unannounced and walking into someones house at the invite of child was a non-issue.

He is a product of a different era, a simpler time when we were not all afraid of each other and didnt have multiple locks on our doors.

OP did good. Doubt I would have reacted the same way and as calmly. I would have had weapon drawn, called my kid up to me and the instructed the guy to leave from upstairs.

Glad it worked out

While that is a good point, I'd like to point out that Jerry Sandusky was 69 and showing no signs of slowing down when he got caught. Its' that type of thought process that allows people like that to get away with the things they do.

I got off work early one day, a rare occasion. I called my wife on the way home but she didn't answer, not so rare. When I got home, there was nobody downstairs so I put a few things away and probably made a lot of noise. When I approached the stairs, my wife and her friend were just standing at the top wide eye'd.

When they realized it was me and not a crazed drugged-out serial rapist, they were pretty relieved. We had a talk about not just standing there waiting to see if you're about to be killed or not. :doh:

--- fricken awesome!

- - - Updated - - -

pics of friend..:)

nude :thumb:

While that is a good point, I'd like to point out that Jerry Sandusky was 69 and showing no signs of slowing down when he got caught. Its' that type of thought process that allows people like that to get away with the things they do.

indeed and no doubt there are some bad old people out there.. However, I would like to believe that it is the rare exception and not the rule.

OP,
Not to bash, but since this is a thread that I think you are looking for responses...
Might want to consider "cutting the pie" next time as you enter the room with the potential threat. Exposing "just half " of your body is way too much exposure. Half your body is an easy target at that range. That was the only thing that jumped out at me, and sounds like your response was good, especially the part where you kept your head and did not panic as most folks would. And I like how you had a figurative "after action" discussion so that you and your son could learn from the experience!

Back
Top Bottom