• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Got a chance to see how I react to potential home threat

I agree with both thoughts, keep an eye and give some credit that he is of a different generation. When I say 75, that was on the optimistic side, I'd think maybe verging on the 80's. Once I say he was physically a non threat to us, even if he meant harm, it was ok. I doubt he could keep hold of my 10 yr old much less pose any significant threat. All comes down to instinct and judgement..everything does
Yep. Sad times we live in, most assuredly just going to get worse.
Everybody walked away safely and you got to have a teachable moment with your son. Well done...

Not if friend was a dude!

Friend is a girl. My wife and her met when they were working at Hooters a couple years ago. Sorry, no nude pics of either. That was the weird thing though... They both looked like they just got out of the shower, but there's only one shower upstairs. I didn't really think about it at the time because I was more concerned with their response, or lack thereof, to the potential threat. Both of their faces were flush, but I assumed it was because they were scared. Maybe I read that whole situation wrong.

ok, I made all that up. Enjoy your weekend, pervs. :thumb:

Friend is a girl. My wife and her met when they were working at Hooters a couple years ago. Sorry, no nude pics of either. That was the weird thing though... They both looked like they just got out of the shower, but there's only one shower upstairs. I didn't really think about it at the time because I was more concerned with their response, or lack thereof, to the potential threat. Both of their faces were flush, but I assumed it was because they were scared. Maybe I read that whole situation wrong.

ok, I made all that up. Enjoy your weekend, pervs. :thumb:

Man, for a sec I thought this was gonna be the most appropriate time and subject for a thread hijack, ever!

I've got to say that I'd be highly suspect of any person that would enter a home with a child without an adult being notified prior. He might be a "nice guy" or whatever or he could be a child molester that uses that tactic to look for soft spots in his target. Now he's gain familiarity with your son and knows he can potentially gain access using that to his advantage. Happens all the time and it's hardly ever someone you'd expect (teachers, someone giving piano lessons, coaches, ect..).

This /\ in a major big way IMO. No responsible adult of any age enters a home when a child answers the door - period. He should have said "could you go get your parents please" & and if the answer was they are not home he should have left. Something very off about this.

indeed and no doubt there are some bad old people out there.. However, I would like to believe that it is the rare exception and not the rule.

Crime, even crime against children didn't just start 20-30-40 years ago. Just say'n the more weak the predator (80 yr old man), the weaker the prey (10 yr old boy).
Glad to hear it turned out like it did, but I'd still tell the guy a funny story about how an unexpected man almost had a gun pointed at him in my kitchen.

yeah.. old man was wrong in this day and age... However, before you point all the blame on him, he grew up an COMPLETELY different time. Where it was probably common practice to just swing by unannounced and walking into someones house at the invite of child was a non-issue.

He is a product of a different era, a simpler time when we were not all afraid of each other and didnt have multiple locks on our doors.

OP did good. Doubt I would have reacted the same way and as calmly. I would have had weapon drawn, called my kid up to me and the instructed the guy to leave from upstairs.

Glad it worked out

I'm a product of a different era, a simpler time when I would walk across a State Highway with a rifle an hunt deer and didnt have to watch for traffic. We never locked our doors and had no issues. That was years ago and I've learned that times have changed so I've changed my behavior as well.

I get what you're saying but it would only ring true if older people stopped learing about the changing rules of society when they were young.

Old boy was lucky to be in a clam guy's chow hall.

You handled it very calmly. The 75yr old man is the problem in this case. What business person walks into a stranger's garage and knocks on the door to get permission to enter a house from a 10yr old kid. Why didn't he use the front door? Why didn't he call first? Why didn't he ask to speak to the mother or father before he dared to come into your home? That moron would not be coming back to my house (something wrong there).

75 years old........he is old school.......back in his day...never had to worry about such nonsense as we do today..........just an old soul lost in this world of chaos....give him just a little grace.......

yes, old man. No harm no foul. Goal is for a peaceful ending and that was what happened. Sometimes the ends justifies the means. I'm a big advocate of trusting your senses. I had the weapon staged and I had room to create distance if I was charged. I had moved my son away from my fields of fire. When I saw the old man, I didn't simply let my guard down. I made it known to my son with some stares that even though things are ok and this is just an old man, it is not an excuse to forget. At no point did I show my son that I approved of the old man being there, but I also made sure I didn't freak out the old man. Once things were in the clear, it was too good a moment to not make it a teaching moment

Back
Top Bottom