Got any persimmon trees?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
If you do, and they are females (fruit producing), you've no doubt found out what a magnet they are for deer (and pretty much every other critter). Shot a nice buck last year directly under my favorite one.The frustrating thing has always been finding a new tree in what looks like a good spot during your spring scouting (or turkey hunting) and not have any clue whether it was a male or female. You may have even read that you can not tell the difference from just looking at the tree and have to wait until they fruit. Pffft! From simple observation I've discovered you CAN tell, with 100% accuracy, once they have blossoms or their buds (spring time).

Here you go.

Male have LOTS of TINY buds and very close together. They are very easy to identify.

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsmale.jpg

Females have far fewer buds (as each contains a potential fruit) and they are much larger and spread out.

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsfemale2.jpg

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsfemale1.jpg

And the actual blossoms from the female....

i138.photobucket.com_albums_q254_Dominionofstewards_Persimmonbudsfemaleblossoms.jpg

Yeah, this would have been a lot more relevant 5 months ago but still... ;)
I'll try and remember to bump next spring.

Where do you get yours? We planted 4 during the spring of 2014, and the last of them has now died. We got them from a nursery in McMinnville, TN, and we also bought peach, pear, apple and cherry, and slowly they have almost all died, so we think it's the nursery.

The Persimmon trees we purchased were only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch around, and 3-4 feet tall, but those were the only ones available. I would love to plant more, but where do you buy yours?

Where do you get yours? We planted 4 during the spring of 2014, and the last of them has now died. We got them from a nursery in McMinnville, TN, and we also bought peach, pear, apple and cherry, and slowly they have almost all died, so we think it's the nursery.

The Persimmon trees we purchased were only about 1/4 to 1/2 inch around, and 3-4 feet tall, but those were the only ones available. I would love to plant more, but where do you buy yours?
These are NATIVE persimmon trees. I assume you bought some type of Japanese persimmon?
You'll have a lot less issues with natives. They simply grow wild and I've got more than I can shake a stick out on my place (vast majority males unfortunately).
I've never personally used these people but know those that have and they are very pleased with them. http://www.wildlifegroup.com/shop-for-persimmon-trees/
Get them in the ground in about a month or so....

I purchased 4 and planted them here I my Mountain property. Yes they are Japanese, but my luck they must be all male. Growing great they are 14' feet tall now and no fruit

Holy Cow! I've had a male tree for over 20 years and couldn't figure it out. I knew it was a presimmon tree but could not figure out why it had tiny fruit instead of the large fruit I knew as a child. Thank you very much for posting this!

I purchased 4 and planted them here I my Mountain property. Yes they are Japanese, but my luck they must be all male. Growing great they are 14' feet tall now and no fruit
How old are they? Nurseries should have sexed the trees. Japanese take a little longer (I've seen two year old natives fruits).
I've got a couple that I planted last year from containers that are probably now 4 years old and I expect them to fruit next year. I've seen TINY 2 year old natives fruit.

Holy Cow! I've had a male tree for over 20 years and couldn't figure it out. I knew it was a presimmon tree but could not figure out why it had tiny fruit instead of the large fruit I knew as a child. Thank you very much for posting this!
If it has fruit (of any size) it's a female, not a male. If the fruit are small (smaller than a golf ball) they are native/common persimmons.
Japanese types are generally speaking around the size of an apple (in a variety of colors and shapes).

About 10 yrs old now
That's a shame. I'm unaware of any nutrient deficiencies that may cause that but if they were purchased that's on the nursery. I'd be VERY aggravated if I waited that long for nothing. Hey the wood is nice for woodworking. ;)
Get some new ones. If you get decent sized ones in containers they'll fruit in a year or two.

Back
Top Bottom