• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Got attacked by a dog this morning. What would you have done?

If you have a truck stop near by, buy a 10$ tire thumper. You can also go to Home Depot and buy a 24 inch (3/4) piece of black iron pipe. One whack from one of those and it’s game over . I do agree with the dude that has repeatedly suggested the pepper spray. All in all you got away unharmed and no one was shot, so consider it a win.
Pro tip:
DO NOT get pepper spray on your hands and then go take a whizz.

edit to add:
genius that I am, even after posting the above, I just halved and seeded a dozen jalepenos, went to pee without washing hands.
Think the little guy is on fire.
Possible upside: soap him up and scrub, and scrub…

As a former Letter Carrier for twenty years, I was never bitten. Most of the dogs were friendly towards me, however there were a few that had malice in their heart and came at me with ill intent.
I had a walking route for four years and that had it's moments. The mounted route also had quite a few canines who objected to me being there.
On the walking route when they came at me, I walked slowly backwards and held the mail bag in front with my P.O. issued pepper spray ready if necessary. I only used the pepper spray a handful of times.
One time a Doberman came from around a bush on the street. I instantly put my bag in front and started spraying. He kept coming and I went to my backup can, that I always carried. He finally backed down.

Got up for my daily 5am run through the neighborhood this morning as usual. As I slowed down and started to walk back to the house a medium-sized black dog that I have never seen before starts barking and charging at me from a house down the street. At first she was a good 25-30 yards away from it so I just continued walking in the opposite direction but she closed that gap in no time. I started to run thinking surely she would stop when I got far enough away from her house but no such luck. By this time I was in a dead sprint and was at least 75-100 yards away from the driveway that she came from. I turned around and she was just a few feet away growling showing her teeth and snapping at me. I realized that I couldn't outrun her and that she was definitely serious about attacking me. Her owner came running out of the house and called her off about two seconds before I was going to put her down. He apologized profusely afterwards and I did my best to be polite but I was not exactly in a good mood. He also said that she bit someone on a landscaping crew recently.

So what's the right thing to do in this situation? Do you have to wait until you actually have teeth marks on you before you do something about it? I'm very thankful that it didn't come to that because I don't want to kill anyone's pet. However I also have a right to run on a public road without being attacked by a vicious dog. Especially one that already has a history of biting people.
I pulled into my driveway and started to get the mail when 2 Rottweilers came at me from nowhere. One was snapping and in attack mode the other was watching. Too far from truck to get gun so I whipped off my belt and went bull whip on his ass...worked like a charm. Both hauled ass to harass someone else. called GC PD non 911 line to do something about them and she said if I had fired on them I would be locked up...told the operator to F off and hung up.

Back
Top Bottom