• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Governor Deal Sitting on HB60

help me to understand why he needs to sign it? from my understanding, without action it will go into effect july 1? i think what needs to be impressed on deal is to not veto. that's the only issue. politically, i think his people think he'll lose more than he gains by signing. pro 2A folks might be pissed at him for not signing, but if it's law come election time, only the very hardcore will hold it against him. but by signing he energizes gun control folks and fuels a 2A debate in the next election cycle that doesn't need to be there. i think this is a case where folks shouldn't be up in arms about process, but focus on results. if come july 2 it's not law, then there's a problem. i think deal is aware of that. 'nuff said.

True, but I have no tolerance for men, especially politicians, who can't make decisions. They don't sign and believe their hands are clean? By not doing anything he had still done something. The law passes and good for us. The bad part is more so called Conservatives should proudly embrace their support of the 2A and enough of this tip toe crap so they don't offend the wussy prohibitionists. Deal needs to stand on his own and sign the bill proclaiming his support of our Constitution.

During the two ice storms earlier this year I never understood why Deal could not come out and face the press by himself, on his own two feet. Every time he and the mayor (who lost the Braves) would come out they had an entourage of 10 people around them. Who the hell were those people and what were they supposed to be? Don't they have jobs and shouldn't they be doing them?

I'm afraid that if the part below was removed it would've been signed already! He has law enforcement telling him that if he signs it they'll lose a very important tool that they now have! I say BS!
Just watch the video that I've linked below and you will see Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills saying as much!

"a person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such a person has a weapons carry license."

http://www.13wmaz.com/story/news/local/2014/03/30/gun-bill-raises-concerns/7091907/

Sheriff of Oconee County Scott Berry:

This is what happened. Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills wrote a letter to the Governor asking him to veto HB60 because, to summarize, it puts peace officers in Georgia at risk. The email went to every Sheriff in addition to the Governor. Quite frankly, I got P%$&@# and by noon the next day I had written a letter and had it emailed to every Sheriff. My letter is on my FB page. If you can't see it, get someone to show it to you cause I don't have time.
WALB is reporting that the GSA voted to oppose HB60. NOT TRUE. LIE. I am on the Board, and it NEVER has come up for a vote. The Lee County Sheriff can speak for himself, but he DOES NOT REPRESENT GSA...PERIOD

OCONEE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
Scott R. Berry, Sheriff

April 2, 2014

The Honorable Nathan Deal
Governor of Georgia
206 Washington Street
Suite 203
Atlanta, Georgia 3033

Support of HB 60

Dear Governor,

I am writing to urge you to sign into law HB 60. I once heard a man say that the discussion of guns "sucks the air out of the room", and HB 60 is no exception; however, I support the language in HB 60, and I urge you to sign it into law as soon as practical.

Georgia has a long history of requiring people who carry a firearm to be licensed just as we have required motor vehicle drivers to be licensed. I submit that peace officers in Georgia should have no more right to demand papers from a citizen for merely possessing a firearm than they should be able to merely stop a driver to demand to see their driver's license. Nothing I see in House Bill 60 would prohibit a peace officer from encountering a criminal and taking action to protect themselves and the citizens they are sworn to serve and protect. In my 35 years in law enforcement I have yet to see a criminal possess a weapons carry license much less care whether or not he was licensed.

In my opinion the license language in HB 60 is a direct message to the peace officers of Georgia that honest, law abiding citizens have the right to proceed unhindered and unobstructed in their daily lives and should not be subjected to intense law enforcement scrutiny due to the fact they choose to lawfully carry a firearm.

Should you choose in your wisdom to sign HB 60 into law I would be honored to stand with you and support legislation that expands the ability of law abiding citizens to protect themselves.

Sincerely,

<signed>

Scott R. Berry
Sheriff, Oconee County

Just emailed the Governor again. The anti's are all over the media the past few days...apparently a well funded attack on our rights. My most recent point to the Gov. was that most of the anti gun interests are from out of state and not the view of most Georgians.

Emailed again.

Only going to get worse now Bloomie has his new 'everytown' group up and funded. Although I had to laugh that they didn't think ahead to get their Facebook page, and a pro-gun guy sniped it.

Back
Top Bottom