• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Gun show loop hole is going bye bye

giphy.gif

This is a rule, not a law. All this rule says is to enforce the existing law. As long as you are not running any illegal under the table, unlicensed firearms business you will be fine. ODT will survive.

It's a rule that expands on the law that changed the old law... But you're right, for 99% of the folks here it's not going to change a thing. For now at least.

There are some gotchas that could catch a lot of folks doing normal sales and trades here, if the ATF decides to use the vagueness in the wording against them.

They even point out that under the new law & rule that a single sale (or even offer of a sale) could be considered a 'presumption' that you are an 'unlicensed dealer', but that would depend on the 'totality of the facts'... Whatever that means.

“Garland presented the rule as a hardening of the 2022 bipartisan Safer Communities Act, which said all persons “who devote time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business to predominantly earn a profit” would be considered a dealer.”

I tall don’t see is as any real difference to what is currently the “rules”

They have been spouting the “gun show loophole” long enough that man people have tried to buy at “shows” and re buffed, that people are figuring out its fantasy. Easy to find, on You Tube the media outlets that tried and were shocked to find they could not obtain one. Yes, there are some that were successful, but those were from “personal collections” that apparently have so many guns that they are forced to store them on tables, week after week at shows.

Yes there are illegal sale around, but it’s not a “dealer” that is following the current rules, as we know it.
I think we have several around us that will be affected.

I also feel that “shall not be infringed” should the only law or “rule”.

Ok, so this is easy.

If I bought a rifle back in say, 1980 for $129 from a gun show or even a store, and used it for many years and then sold it last year for $350 because I wanted something else, I'm actually LOSING money on that gun.

You see, $129 in 1980 money is equal to $516 today. So if you do the simple math, you will see that I actually LOST $166 on that sale, which I will gladly apply to the basis of my new gun, meaning that if I buy a $600 gun my basis in that gun is actually now $766 in current value money. If I keep that gun for say five years and sell it for $600, I'm still losing even more. Bottom line is I'm never selling a gun "for profit" ever.

The moral of the story... CARRY ON, MY FRIENDS! Just keep good records.

Continue on with the classic Jewish economics model, which simply states: "Lose money on every sale, and make it up in volume."

Back
Top Bottom