• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has any one ever installed heated tile floors?

Ditto to the above, installed them in both our bathrooms and it was quite easy. Just read the destructions and use the proper trowel...the notch size is very important so you don’t leave too much thinset and have an uneven floor. Fantastic system once you get it down, and the installer videos are very helpful.

Im getting ready to remodel our bathroom. My wife asked if we can have heated tile floors.

Does anyone have any experience at this?

Before the peanut gallery chims in, Happy wife happy life.

My bathroom is above my garage and I wouldn't fight my wife over wanting it. That floor is like walking on ice some mornings.

I have some carpentry experience and my Father in Law has a ton. He has done heated floors on a couple of his houses that he lived in. Lots of cost (or PITA factor) to install but lots of benefits and relatively low cost to maintain for what you get.

If your question is general like 'should I do it' - I'd say yes if you have the time/money. It's one of those things that you'll appreciate forever. Kind of a badass thing for your wife to tell her friends about too which is worth something.

If your question is specific like "how do I XYZ' - I'm not your guy, lol

Installed in my kitchen. Hired a "professional" installer who screwed up the tile (crooked & uneven). When I made him come back and redo 60% of the tile, he cut the heater wire in 1 spot. I was able to splice it and it still work but it was a hot spot. Worked for 5 years and now has a short (presumably in the splice). Aside from the installer's error, I LOVED it. Had it on a programmable thermostat to come on in the mornings before leaving from work, and again after 17:00 when I got home from work.

Don't have it in the ground floor on a slab master bathroom because it was already tiled when I moved in & I haven't re-tiled it. Planning on a home addition when materials prices come back down and will definitely be heating the tile floor in the new master bathroom.

Do it! Don't worry about the cost. Greatest thing you will ever do (followed closely by a mirror defogger) and it will keep the wife happy.

It always looked easy on HGTV.:) My grandparents whole house had heated floors throughout. It used recirculating heated water running through pipes in the slab. We ran barefoot in the house all winter long. GL

I wish I had a whole house heated this way. Is the most even heat you can get and no forced air blowing dust and dirty vents.

IMO, I think the most efficient is baseboard hot water heat fed with copper pipes....I've watched nearly every episode of TOH and all the plastic composite and connector tubing under-concrete layouts and none of it has shown me the withstanding the test of tubing composure, connection integrity and ability to access for repairs. ACCESS is the key to any kind of heat like this. Anything buried in concrete is just a gamble

IMO, I think the most efficient is baseboard hot water heat fed with copper pipes....I've watched nearly every episode of TOH and all the plastic composite and connector tubing under-concrete layouts and none of it has shown me the withstanding the test of tubing composure, connection integrity and ability to access for repairs. ACCESS is the key to any kind of heat like this. Anything buried in concrete is just a gamble

Can't speak for it in general but my neighbor built his house in the 50's with copper run in concrete and fed with a boiler and small pump. Still works today and I don't think has ever had a problem with it other than maybe mechanical issues with pump or boiler.

Back
Top Bottom