• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Has this happen to anybody else?

Something similar happened to me.

I was in a tree stand from which I could see a hardwood ridge that was eye level with me. I had a big doe come in at about 60 yards away moving along very near the top of the ridge. I got a good shot on her and by the time I recovered from recoil, she had reversed direction and ran about 30 yards before going down. I got to her and started dragging her out. That took me right back over the spot where she had been when I fired and over the top of the ridge. I found a blood trail, but I didn't think she had circled over the ridge when she ran. I followed the blood trail and it became obvious it didn't come from her. I found a second deer about 75 yards from where I had shot going in the opposite direction from where the first one had run.

It became clear there had actually been two deer that were perfectly lined up with each other and my shot had gotten both of them with good double lung hits. When the second deer ran, it had gone over the top of the ridge almost immediately and I had not seen it. Fortunately, I was not hunting alone, so had help getting them out.

I was in a tree stand from which I could see a hardwood ridge that was eye level with me. I had a big doe come in at about 60 yards away moving along very near the top of the ridge. I got a good shot on her and by the time I recovered from recoil, she had reversed direction and ran about 30 yards before going down. I got to her and started dragging her out. That took me right back over the spot where she had been when I fired and over the top of the ridge. I found a blood trail, but I didn't think she had circled over the ridge when she ran. I followed the blood trail and it became obvious it didn't come from her. I found a second deer about 75 yards from where I had shot going in the opposite direction from where the first one had run.

It became clear there had actually been two deer that were perfectly lined up with each other and my shot had gotten both of them with good double lung hits. When the second deer ran, it had gone over the top of the ridge almost immediately and I had not seen it. Fortunately, I was not hunting alone, so had help getting them out.
Ha what are the chances? Nice to have the help

It’s always nice to have somebody else hunting with you. But like I’ve always said if nobody can go, I’m not just gonna stay at home. I’m going

It’s always nice to have somebody else hunting with you. But like I’ve always said if nobody can go, I’m not just gonna stay at home. I’m going
Yep. If I waited to go with others I wouldn't be in the woods a 10th as much as I am. When I first started deer hunting I always hunted alone.

I shot two on thanksgiving morning two years ago. Shot a doe that was about 125 to 150 yards away. She rolled down the hill she was standing on and into the creek at the bottom. Walked over, drug her up out of the creek, then turned around and immediately shot a cull buck that had just ran over to where I had been sitting.

The regret came when I walked over and looked at the doe I had killed. It was a yearling. Probably only weighed about 75 lbs. I thought it was a full grown doe since she was about the same size as all the other ones around her. Guess it was just all the kids hanging out together. That's the only deer I've ever regretted shooting.

I shot two on thanksgiving morning two years ago. Shot a doe that was about 125 to 150 yards away. She rolled down the hill she was standing on and into the creek at the bottom. Walked over, drug her up out of the creek, then turned around and immediately shot a cull buck that had just ran over to where I had been sitting.

The regret came when I walked over and looked at the doe I had killed. It was a yearling. Probably only weighed about 75 lbs. I thought it was a full grown doe since she was about the same size as all the other ones around her. Guess it was just all the kids hanging out together. That's the only deer I've ever regretted shooting.
It’s not just bucks that have ground shrinkage. Lol

Killed two does last year with one shot. The first one took a 7WSM to the vitals, which then deflected upon exit, and struck the second one in the head. Both were DRT. Makes for a cost effective hunt, but a lot of work.

Attachments

• 20181229_073354.jpg
    20181229_073354.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 28
Shot 2 large does one evening late last year right before dark. Wasnt 100% sure I hit the first one, but needed meat for the freezer. Had to drag both a couple hundred yards to get to truck and load them up. Called a buddy to help and he didnt bother to call back till I was already pulling the second one into the bed of the truck. Wasn't a whole lot of fun by myself, but it was definitely worth it.

Back
Top Bottom