• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Heckler and Koch vp9

One more thought on this, my only real knock against the HK at this point is the heavier pull weight. It's completely serviceable and probably more appropriate for the majority of shooters, especially LE. If HK offered a reduced power spring kit to drop the pull weight by approximately 1-1.5 lbs, it could be definitively the best gun on the market.

HK is well-known for having pretty awful triggers, so anything close to the PPQ is pretty high praise. I've always thought the P30 had a nice pull to it.

Honestly, I found my accuracy much better with the VP9, and I like the trigger better on VP9. The trigger on the PPQ kind of pinched my finger. Call it operator error or whatever, but for the $50 difference in price, I'll go with the one I liked better. Also, GA Firing Line had a Sig P320 which I shot. Not even in the same conversation with the other two - far and away better with both the PPQ and VP9.

I had read the p320 was pretty nice, but I haven't seen one yet. What didn't you like about it?

Man guys I'm accurate out to 50 yards with my PPQ factory sights. I also ran them in my first IPSC match and placed third based on hits. I'm not saying they are the best, and I plan on changing them out at some point but they are definitely better than many I have had.

Update, I got a second short range session in today. 250 rounds through the gun so far. The more time I spend on the gun, the more acclimated I get. Accuracy is very good and should improve further once I decide on a set of replacement sights. The recoil impulse is nice and smooth, a little better than the PPQ. No failures of any kind so far. My only gripe is the trigger pull weight. The PPQ and Apex triggers have really spoiled me. Once I figure out how to disassemble the gun, I'm going to try and find a suitable replacement for the sear spring. Hopefully something like this will be available from hkparts down the road. I'm really liking the trigger cycle. Take up is fairly short and smooth, break is crisp with a very small, barely perceptible creep. That will probably improve with more use. Summary, still like the gun very much and if I didn't have a PPQ, I'd probably be ecstatic. It's an excellent choice for what is arguably the most high quality modern striker fired gun on the market.

An interesting side note, the VP9 and P30 series guns have a trough cut into the trigger guard, below the trigger. On the P30, the trough will rub my finger raw. However, it hasn't posed any issues on the VP9.

Update, I got a second short range session in today. 250 rounds through the gun so far. The more time I spend on the gun, the more acclimated I get. Accuracy is very good and should improve further once I decide on a set of replacement sights. The recoil impulse is nice and smooth, a little better than the PPQ. No failures of any kind so far. My only gripe is the trigger pull weight. The PPQ and Apex triggers have really spoiled me. Once I figure out how to disassemble the gun, I'm going to try and find a suitable replacement for the sear spring. Hopefully something like this will be available from hkparts down the road. I'm really liking the trigger cycle. Take up is fairly short and smooth, break is crisp with a very small, barely perceptible creep. That will probably improve with more use. Summary, still like the gun very much and if I didn't have a PPQ, I'd probably be ecstatic. It's an excellent choice for what is arguably the most high quality modern striker fired gun on the market.

An interesting side note, the VP9 and P30 series guns have a trough cut into the trigger guard, below the trigger. On the P30, the trough will rub my finger raw. However, it hasn't posed any issues on the VP9.

Shoot the gun more. My trigger really smoothed out once it got some rounds down it. Quite tight from the factory

Back
Top Bottom