Help with John Deere L130

grandall1972

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
249   0
Reaction score
- Just picked up a very lightly used John Deere l130. Lady had purchased it for her husband two-three years ago and he mowed the yard once or twice and decided he didn't like mowing.

Mower-
- john deere l130 48" mower only has 9 hours on it, but has sat for 1.5-2.5 years.
- Cv23s kholer 23hp engine

Issues
1. Would not run. Resolved (new fuel, flush, and more flushing)
2. Running very rich and chugging with smoke. Mostly resolved ( cleaned electric needle on carb twice)
3. Running but when you start to go it starts to chug slightly and doesn't seem to have as much power or speed as it should have.

Poor descriptions, but need help with this mower. It does look beautiful, just need it to run properly.
20160527_144910.jpg

Carb kit man. No way around it. It sat for too long with ethanol fuel more than likely.

I figured it might be that, just a really annoying carb to get off. Everything is in the way of getting it off. When one cleaned the needle the first time it ran really well and then 2 hours later it didn't want to run right anymore. Cleaned it again. Runs a lot better, but is chugging when put under a load.

Have you swapped out the fuel filter? Just worked on a craftsman that sat up for 10 years. I also dropped the bowl off the carb, then took a air hose an shot some air through the lines to blow out the gunk an it cleaned the needle valves. runs good now

Yea the one I worked on had about the same set up but it was gunked up an wouldnt let that solenoid work. So I broke off the tip flush with the threads an it went to work. The replacement was $65. Old one didnt work anyway so I tried an worked,

Once you have the number of the carb, check Amazon for a rebuild kit. You may have to cross reference some small engine web site for the correct kit number. Also, NAPA sill sells the paint can size container of carb cleaner. A good day or two of soaking and then using compressed air to blow out the carb body helps a lot. Wear eye protection when blowing out the carb body.

Lastly, YouTube may have a video of someone disassembling the entire carb.

Good luck.

Sometimes u can get the entire carb on eBay for pretty cheap especially if u consider your time and effort to rebuild the carb. Just replaced a carb on a pressure washer for $20. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom