Here we go again. Damn it!

Good thinking.

Did you do an initial search and jump him? Or did he just run away and you backed out? I'm a little unclear...Haha...Like I need answers!!! Shoot, I'm anxious just thinking about it!
I screwed that up. I jumped him during an initial search. I wasn't sure if I hit him low enough for a double lung, which would have killed him quick. At least it confirmed what area he went into. There were several possibilities from where he was when I shot him. Now I know and it's the best one for a chance to recover him.

Reactions: MRH
Yes. 375 plus fps is too fast to see and hits before the deer can duck. Am I wrong?

Seeing it isn't the problem. They jump the string. There are thousands of documented recordings of deer ducking the arrow at very close range. Their first reaction is straight down. I've had it happen to me. Most bowhunters will experience it, eventually. Bear44 had it happen this evening.

Seeing it isn't the problem. They jump the string. There are thousands of documented recordings of deer ducking the arrow at very close range. Their first reaction is straight down. I've had it happen to me. Most bowhunters will experience it, eventually. Bear44 had it happen this evening.

I've never seen them duck a crossbow. Especially a fast one. Damn.

This is weird to me. Aint no way a deer is ducking a bolt at 30 yards unless you are shootin an old one. The in flight part confuses me too. You cant see a crossbow bolt in flight even with lighted nocks.
I can. It's from a habit I picked up from shooting long range rifle and trying to watch the vapor trail of the bullet. The white and red veins stand out clearly to me. I might lose it at the top of the arc for a moment, but when it drops back into the line of sight I can see it.

On a regular bow I could watch the entire flight of the arrow.

I've never seen them duck a crossbow. Especially a fast one. Damn.

I haven't had one jump a crossbow either, but at 30 yards I don't take chances. Deer will duck the arrow, without even realizing they are doing it. All they want is that first bound from those hind legs, so a quick squat and boom, they are gone. LOL...Pretty crazy how fast they are.

Back
Top Bottom