• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Here we go again. Damn it!

The fact this crossbow is loud probably contributed. I thought about trying to quiet it down, but didn't think it was necessary.

Most crossbows are loud as hell. My Barnett sounds like a C middle note on a piano being struck with a hammer. LOL!

I don't know if he was down when I saw him run, but it would make sense. He was only about 100 yards from where I shot him and it was a good 10 minutes later.

Let me guess...When you jumped him, he was at the end of a ridge, with a couple different escape drop offs on either side?

I don't know if he was down when I saw him run, but it would make sense. He was only about 100 yards from where I shot him and it was a good 10 minutes later.

They only lay down close like that when they are hit hard. Get your flashlight out and go. He is dead right now.

Good luck finding him Bear44 Bear44 . I know you are discouraged because you jumped him after getting down but the fact that he was already bedded down is a good sign.
And he was right at the bottom of a steep hill he ran down from the stand location. As soon as he got to level ground, he stopped.

You guys are starting to make me feel a little better about this.

Seeing it isn't the problem. They jump the string. There are thousands of documented recordings of deer ducking the arrow at very close range. Their first reaction is straight down. I've had it happen to me. Most bowhunters will experience it, eventually. Bear44 had it happen this evening.

We call them NEO Deer

Nope. If he is, he still will be in the morning. Did I mention there was almost no blood?

Shoulder shots dont give much blood but they give you dead deer. I had one I blew both shoulders out with a slug and there was not a single drop. He's on the wall.

Yup. He dead. He wouldn't have laid down so close if he wasn't dying.

If he was bedded down, then yeah he's dead. He will run another 300-500 yards, max, and lay again awaiting a pursuit...When it doesn't happen, hopefully he will die right there. I've seen it a bunch of times.

Of course without being there on the ground, this is all internet speculation from forum experts, which is very entertaining. LOL

Back
Top Bottom