• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Here we go again. Damn it!

I screwed that up. I jumped him during an initial search. I wasn't sure if I hit him low enough for a double lung, which would have killed him quick. At least it confirmed what area he went into. There were several possibilities from where he was when I shot him. Now I know and it's the best one for a chance to recover him.

DJD...So he was already laid up...Yep, my guess is he will die. Where he will die is anybody's guess. My guess is somewhere around or in water.

Seeing it isn't the problem. They jump the string. There are thousands of documented recordings of deer ducking the arrow at very close range. Their first reaction is straight down. I've had it happen to me. Most bowhunters will experience it, eventually. Bear44 had it happen this evening.

It's happened to me! Deer have more senses working in there favor than most other animals.

Reactions: MRH
I haven't had one jump a crossbow either, but at 30 yards I don't take chances. Deer will duck the arrow, without even realizing they are doing it. All they want is that first bound from those hind legs, so a quick squat and boom, they are gone. LOL...Pretty crazy how fast they are.
The fact this crossbow is loud probably contributed. I thought about trying to quiet it down, but didn't think it was necessary.

It's happened to me! Deer have more senses working in there favor than most other animals.

Their ears are probably as good as their noses. Those ears are oversized, and they are constantly working forward, backwards, and all around. One ear forward, one ear backwards...Weird.

The speed of sound is almost three times faster than most crossbow bolts. Therefore, deer have time to react to the sound of the crossbow or bow prior to the arrow reaching them.

I get that but it takes time to transfer sounds to the brain and reactions to the muscles. I just aint seen it. Slower bows yes but never with a crossbow. That buck must have been on high alert.

DJD...So he was already laid up...Yep, my guess is he will die. Where he will die is anybody's guess. My guess is somewhere around or in water.
I don't know if he was down when I saw him run, but it would make sense. He was only about 100 yards from where I shot him and it was a good 10 minutes later.

Back
Top Bottom