• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hi point CCW -__-

I agree and disagree. You can afford better if people would actually save, but thats not the way most people go. A ruger or taurus is not far a price and a much better option

Not really. To some 180 is too much to spend on a firearm. When you got 4 kids, your pay sucks and the wife spends money on shoes like its going out of style... 180 bucks might be it. Some people have to save for other things. Thats why I have no wife and no kids. I like keeping my money.

Not really. To some 180 is too much to spend on a firearm. When you got 4 kids, your pay sucks and the wife spends money on shoes like its going out of style... 180 bucks might be it. Some people have to save for other things. Thats why I have no wife and no kids. I like keeping my money.

You don't buy a piano and call yourself a pianist... Sure, a hi point beats a sharp knife anyday of the week (cept for when it's jamming), but if your whole gun budget is 180$ and you can't spend a penny more, you don't need a gun. First comes a quality holster, quality ammunition, extensive range time as well as if it's your first handgun, extensive instruction. Basically, if its your first gun and all you can afford is a hi point because your gun fund is that limited, you're more dangerous to yourself than helpful.. Understress you won't be able to perform properly because you've never once went into a range and spent 60$ on shooting some targets, never once dropped the 150$ on an instructor course, 80 on the ammo etc, you know nearly nothing. Then when you get placed in a situation where that hi point is going to protect you, you'll sink to your lowest level of training, which is nothing. You won't just pull point and shoot and magically drop the bg...You'll be lucky if you don't kill all of the bystanders around. As a dad of 2, it's hard for me to factor in the cost of putting myself and wife through multiple courses into my budget, and sometimes it sucks going otu and buying 200 rounds worth of .40, but I know that I depend on my firearm to protect my life and my training to give me the skills to execute it properly. If your gun fund is that limited to where you can't contribute anything to it over teh course of 2-4 months to get even a ruger p series and a basic level course, your a danger to everyone.

You don't buy a piano and call yourself a pianist... Sure, a hi point beats a sharp knife anyday of the week (cept for when it's jamming), but if your whole gun budget is 180$ and you can't spend a penny more, you don't need a gun. First comes a quality holster, quality ammunition, extensive range time as well as if it's your first handgun, extensive instruction. Basically, if its your first gun and all you can afford is a hi point because your gun fund is that limited, you're more dangerous to yourself than helpful.. Understress you won't be able to perform properly because you've never once went into a range and spent 60$ on shooting some targets, never once dropped the 150$ on an instructor course, 80 on the ammo etc, you know nearly nothing. Then when you get placed in a situation where that hi point is going to protect you, you'll sink to your lowest level of training, which is nothing. You won't just pull point and shoot and magically drop the bg...You'll be lucky if you don't kill all of the bystanders around. As a dad of 2, it's hard for me to factor in the cost of putting myself and wife through multiple courses into my budget, and sometimes it sucks going otu and buying 200 rounds worth of .40, but I know that I depend on my firearm to protect my life and my training to give me the skills to execute it properly. If your gun fund is that limited to where you can't contribute anything to it over teh course of 2-4 months to get even a ruger p series and a basic level course, your a danger to everyone.

In a perfect world that logic may work, BUT having a gun gives you a chance you don,t have unarmed and to say he is better off without a better gun and training and range time, is far from the truth. some people have no clue what it is like to just get by and live on a budget, I am one of those on a budget and I have owned every hi point model and NEVER had a problem with one and I would carry one with no fear at all of it not working when I need it to. to many people judge THINGS and people without EVER walking in thier shoes or shooting the guns they knock.

Last agency I worked for held public open range days with the city PD at the city's range, where the public could come out and shoot for free and get a little instruction on Friday afternoons. I ended up running quite a few of them as range master and saw a lot of Hi Points come through. Quite few of the owners were folks who couldn't afford much more, and I think one of the pawn shops in town was running a deal on them. Most of the folks there asked my opinion on them and whether or not I thought they got a good deal... well...

At first glance my thoughts were "Who made this gawd-awful ugly, rough feeling, top heavy, unwieldy, gravel-road-trigger POS?" But what it came down to in the end was that they're inexpensive, reasonably accurate, and reasonably reliable. I did see quite a few jams out of them; nothing unfixable with a good tap, roll, rack, and they weren't really as consistently accurate as I'd like, but they did the job for a really low price. And that's what I told them; it'll do the job, if the job is saving your butt in a pinch. But, man... why do they have be so butt-ugly?

I do give their owners a lot of credit for coming out and learning how to shoot and care for them. I made sure to throw in malfunction drills in there.

So if you cant afford training you shouldn't own a gun to defend yourself?

not to mention the multiple cases of people successfully defending themselves without training. i get what your saying about putting in the practice and time at the range, but everyone should be able to own a gun to defend themselves without people on the internet saying they arnt good enough or that they are a danger. thats the kind of elitist attitude that turns alot of people away from firearms.

Back
Top Bottom