• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

high fructose corn syrup

Costco has the 24pks of Mexican Cokes. 16oz and the little 8oz bottles too. Pretty cheap per bottle, but I don't keep Coke (any soda) at my house for reasons already mentioned. I love it, but too tempting. Plus, I do not want my kids hooked on soda like so many other kids. My nephews can attack a bottle of Mountain Dew like nobody's business. They drink zero water. Not a habit I want to teach my kids.

What do you mean by Mexican Coke? Coke made for Mexico or Mexican Cola?

Now that the Colombians have been taken out, most Coke comes from Mexico.

Oh, wait, never mind. :)

It's coca-cola bottled in Mexico where they still use real sugar in the formula. You can find them in bulk at Sams and Costco or just about every cooler in the Mexican bodegas (stores). They will say "Hecho en Mexico" on the bottle and list "sugar" as an ingredient.

Coke bottled in Mexico lists "sugar" as an ingredient instead of "high fructose corn syrup".
It currently is only in glass bottles, at least as far as I have found.

Almost every store is carrying it now, usually around $1 a bottle.

I'd love to hear from our resident food scientist on this: wasn't the HFCS vs sugar debate largely debunked? Maybe there's a taste difference, but doesn't your body pretty much treat all sugars as sugar? Similar insulin response, same breakdown, etc...

(So it's not that HFCS is bad and sugar is good, more like neither of them are doing you any favors.)

Now that the Colombians have been taken out, most Coke comes from Mexico.

Oh, wait, never mind. :)

It's coca-cola bottled in Mexico where they still use real sugar in the formula. You can find them in bulk at Sams and Costco or just about every cooler in the Mexican bodegas (stores). They will say "Hecho en Mexico" on the bottle and list "sugar" as an ingredient.

Cool never heard of that. I guess I'm going to Sams tomorrow.

I'd love to hear from our resident food scientist on this: wasn't the HFCS vs sugar debate largely debunked? Maybe there's a taste difference, but doesn't your body pretty much treat all sugars as sugar? Similar insulin response, same breakdown, etc...

(So it's not that HFCS is bad and sugar is good, more like neither of them are doing you any favors.)

They don't feed sugar cane to cows and pigs to fatten them up. Just sayin.... :p
Would like to see a study that wasn't bought by funding from either camp though.

Coke bottled in Mexico lists "sugar" as an ingredient instead of "high fructose corn syrup".
It currently is only in glass bottles, at least as far as I have found.

Almost every store is carrying it now, usually around $1 a bottle.

Glass bottle, even better! Can't believe Mexico gets better Coke than us.

HFCS takes little different route during metabolism process and has tendency to increase body weight.

Ref.
http://www.foodpolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/HFCS_Rats_10.pdf

and I have Ph.D. in Food Science .

He already weighed in.

Back
Top Bottom