• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

high fructose corn syrup

I read a study where they examined the various sugars. They acknowledged a taste difference, but essentially the quackery the chiropractors push about health effects of corn syrups was as lame as their claims against vaccinations and autism. (That said, most studies find the results desired by whoever is writing the check, and you don't always have the benefit of knowing who exactly is writing the check.)

Last edited:
I'd love to hear from our resident food scientist on this: wasn't the HFCS vs sugar debate largely debunked? Maybe there's a taste difference, but doesn't your body pretty much treat all sugars as sugar? Similar insulin response, same breakdown, etc...

(So it's not that HFCS is bad and sugar is good, more like neither of them are doing you any favors.)
This briefly explains the difference in how the are absorbed differently from his cited article:

HFCS is different than sucrose in many ways. First, HFCS-55 has proportionately slightly more fructose than sucrose (White, 2008). Second, fructose is absorbed further down the intestine than glucose, with much of the metabolism occurring in the liver, where it is converted to fructose-1-phsophate, a precursor to the backbone of the triglyceride molecule (Havel, 2005). Third, fructose is metabolically broken down before it reaches the rate-limiting enzyme (phospho- fructokinase), thereby supplying the body with an unregulated source of three-carbon molecules. These molecules are transformed into glycerol and fatty acids, which are eventually taken up by adipose tissue, leading to additional adiposity (Hallfrisch, 1990). And fourth, HFCS causes aberrant insulin functioning, in that it bypasses the insulin-driven satiety system (Curry, 1989). Whereas circulating glucose increases insulin release from the pancreas (Vilsboll et al., 2003), fructose does this less efficiently, because cells in the pancreas lack the fructose transporter (Curry, 1989; Sato et al., 1996). Typically, insulin released by dietary sucrose inhibits eating and increases leptin release (Saad et al., 1998), which in turn further inhibits food intake. As previously discussed, meals of HFCS have been shown to reduce circulating insulin and leptin levels (Teff et al., 2004). Thus, fructose intake might not result in the degree of satiety that would normally ensue with a meal of glucose or sucrose, and this could contribute to increased body weight.

The thing I think is most funny is we Invented Corn...it's not an all natural crop. Why do you think you aren't able to fully dlgest it! ; )

What?...We?... My American history teacher taught us that the American Indians were growing corn way before our arrivial in this country
and that's what we all believe. Please supply support of your statement Sir!

What?...We?... My American history teacher taught us that the American Indians were growing corn way before our arrivial in this country
and that's what we all believe. Please supply support of your statement Sir!

By the time Columbus arrived, the natives were already growing corn. It wasn't so much "invented" as it was domesticated. Scientists have traced it back to a naturally occurring plant which is only crudely similar to today's corn plant, but hypothesize that the Indians selectively bred the original plant for desirable characteristics over the course of hundreds, maybe thousands of years.

That crop now nourishes A LOT of the world's population. Amazingly talented ancient plant geneticists or.......possibly.......Aliens????

The conclusions are what I'm curious about. Is the extra 5% fructose in HFCS over sucrose really powerful enough to bring about all that it's blamed for? I'm not taking a position either way, I'm just interested.

Mexican cokes have Spanish writing on them. I've started seeing them show up in krogers lately. Six pack of 355ml glass bottles, $6

Back
Top Bottom