• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hiking Boots

I'll check out Merrells' as well. Pack should only be around 50-60lbs with tent, bag & water. I'm not a fan of Gortex water proof. I prefer to just let it drain and dry so as water proof works both ways. I think safe with mid as it's not going to be an overly tough route thru the Beartooth Mountains. I just don't risk of boot failure. One of my key things is grip on wet rock as there will be some stream crossings. I read about Five-Ten boots, they are mostly a climbing shoe company but have a pair called the Dome Hiker that can be used as approach or hiking boots.. From what I've read, made in USA isn't the the hallmark of hiking boot, seems Made In Germany is where the high end stuff is . I'm suspicious of Sierra Trading post, they have Hanwag's there, but made in Ecador, while the actual expensive Hanwag's are made in Germany. the ones on Sierra trading post don't have the "Made In German" logo on them either. Could Sierra Trading post be pushing counterfiet products? Lathrop and Sons carries all the legit high end stuff. Being as it' the most important part of the gear, and can ruin a trip in a matter of a day's worth, I'll make sure to get something I can depend on.

So IOW, they're made in the USA.

No, the majority of their boots are cement down construction and even a few lines of the stitch down are foreign made.

Don't confuse seeing stitching on the sole as stitch down construction.

Lacrosse and Redwing are of the same family as Danner as well.

REI is a great place to check out boots. I got some Zamberlans 12-15 years ago. No blisters, a lot of miles. Whatever you get, break them it!!! Pick up some good socks and liners and moleskin. Have fun, thats a fantastic area.

Any suggestions for those of us that need a EEE ?
Very few make a wide.

And if there's anyone still making boots/ shoes in the US it's news to me. I just had to pick up some steel toe redwings and was very disappointed to see they were made in china. And redwing still has the nerve to charge $190 for made in china crap
Asolo and Merrell are made in wide sizes

I love me some Fabiano Boots...Vibram soles and Norwegian welts...but you'd better have some time to break them in and some duct tape for blisters on hand for a while..but once you break them in....they last and last and last....

Back
Top Bottom