• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Hiking Boots

Eshrote

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
25   0
Reaction score
I'm heading on a week backpackging trip in Montana and need a pair of boots. Key is they are dependable. I don't failures on day 2 with five to go. I've researched:
Hanwag,Meindle(Cabelas),Lowa..

anyone have suggestions? From what I read, standard used to be Vasque Sundowners until they moved manufacturing to China and now they aren't dependabe.

thanks

Eddie

I've had two pairs of Sundowners, fantastic boots but like what you've read, they've dropped Vibram and gone over seas. No thanks.
With that said, I've been eying the Meindles for a while and will be buying a pair next go around. They seem to be top notch!

Big fan of Asolo myself... Between my boys and I, we have a lot of miles in Asolos... Currently putting a fair of Asolo Fugitives through their paces.

Asolo's are supposedly best buy for the $$. I'll check those. I was thinking Meindl's as well, but since there's no Cabela's in Ga, buying shoes online without being fitted is iffy..

Best suggestion, hit REI and try on several pair. Our best and favs may not fit your feet well. I do like Asolos though and have put many miles on mine with a lot of life left in them.

What he said.......and give yourself time to break them in before actually using them to hike. Nothing worse than taking out a brand new shoe on a long hike.

Also check out Salewa (pronounced Zaleva). The Meindl's are awesome too.
Salewa is the only hiking boot/shoe that I know of that has a no blister guarantee....pretty ballsy and a good company to boot.

Also check out Salewa (pronounced Zaleva). The Meindl's are awesome too.
Salewa is the only hiking boot/shoe that I know of that has a no blister guarantee....pretty ballsy and a good company to boot.
Salewa's are super comfortable but I do not know of anyone around the ATL that carries them. REI is a great place to try on several options but they do not carry them either. If you do like the Asolo's, sierra trading post almost always has great deals and often huge discount coupons via their Facebook page.

Salewa's are super comfortable but I do not know of anyone around the ATL that carries them. REI is a great place to try on several options but they do not carry them either. If you do like the Asolo's, sierra trading post almost always has great deals and often huge discount coupons via their Facebook page.

I'm sure Amazon has them. I bought mine here in Germany at the recommendation of a friend that does a lot of Alpine hiking. If you go the Salewa route, order 1/2 size larger than you normally wear. I have a pair of Firetail Goretex hikers, awesome shoe.

Back
Top Bottom