• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

History of the M-14

I was at one of the MG shoots at Red Hill a few years ago and it was a hoot to watch follks fire the M14 on FA.

First round, /maybe/ the second round was close to the target but all the others were anti-aircraft rounds!

My first weapon was the M1 in 1957 - 1960 101st Abn In 1961 I was at Ft Benning in the 2nd ID and we still had M1's. I went to Germany in 1962 and got issued the M14. In Vie tnam 1968-69 my Bn was issued M14's for Static defense was the reason but I had to go on convoys sometimes to supply my relay teams and that M14 was too cumbersome for being so close to the jungle on those dirt roads. I had a buddy over in the Green Berets and I got an AK and a 1911 which I carried along with the M14 which was required by Bn.
A picture of my Plt leader carrying one. We were just getting ready to depart in our three truck convoy
7-28-2010 17-28-10_001.jpg

So I'm going to let my newbieness show. Whats the difference between the M1A like what Springfield makes now and the M14 besides the full auto? And a MK14 is just a M1A in an EBR stock right?

I was at one of the MG shoots at Red Hill a few years ago and it was a hoot to watch follks fire the M14 on FA.

First round, /maybe/ the second round was close to the target but all the others were anti-aircraft rounds!

I'd love to give one a try, anyway if birds and aircraft are in danger!

So I'm going to let my newbieness show. Whats the difference between the M1A like what Springfield makes now and the M14 besides the full auto? And a MK14 is just a M1A in an EBR stock right?

Some of the others here can tell you exactly the difference, but to me not much at all!

My first weapon was the M1 in 1957 - 1960 101st Abn In 1961 I was at Ft Benning in the 2nd ID and we still had M1's. I went to Germany in 1962 and got issued the M14. In Vie tnam 1968-69 my Bn was issued M14's for Static defense was the reason but I had to go on convoys sometimes to supply my relay teams and that M14 was too cumbersome for being so close to the jungle on those dirt roads. I had a buddy over in the Green Berets and I got an AK and a 1911 which I carried along with the M14 which was required by Bn.
A picture of my Plt leader carrying one. We were just getting ready to depart in our three truck convoy
View attachment 1026219

Thank you for the story. I bet you were wore out after carrying the m-14 all day in the jungle

Thank you for the story. I bet you were wore out after carrying the m-14 all day in the jungle
Didn't have to do that, thank God. I was a commo section chief and our teams were located usually on mountains or landing zones. In my MOS I could be assigned anywhere but as a SSg at the time they needed be to take over a VHF Section. I was lucky, driving through the jungle and not in it.

Slick, weren't you worried about being separated from your buddies in combat and then being mistaken for a bad guy, if one of them were to see "movement in the bushes" and catch a glimpse of an AK-47, not realizing that it was YOU?

Slick, weren't you worried about being separated from your buddies in combat and then being mistaken for a bad guy, if one of them were to see "movement in the bushes" and catch a glimpse of an AK-47, not realizing that it was YOU?
No, First of all when I got the AK and ammo I removed all the green tracers, which the VC used. The AK was a last defense in case I ran out of ammo for the M14 and was stranded on the road. I figured I could use Charlies ammo if necessary.
We only went on convoys with a jeep, 3/4 ton and a 21/2 ton. There was six to seven of us. When we finished up on the site we headed back to base which was a big one. So what I'm saying the AK was a backup if needed.
This is a Panoramic view of where I was. Pan all the way to the right where the green arrow is and then about six hundred yards from there. The mountains in the background is where we had to convoy.
http://www.reocities.com/RainForest/Andes/2024/nha_trang_panoramic_photo.htm
I'm sorry for hijacking this thread OP. I will stop now.

Back
Top Bottom