• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

History of the M-14

We used them on the fire base with a starlight scope. Would lay on top of the CP bunker and keep an eye out on the AO.

Those starlight scopes were something. I went over to 5th Group and my buddy got me on the perimeter
tower. I thought it was a platoon of VC coming but it was some ducks on the river. Eerie, looking through that scope.

Those starlight scopes were something. I went over to 5th Group and my buddy got me on the perimeter
tower. I thought it was a platoon of VC coming but it was some ducks on the river. Eerie, looking through that scope.
Definitely was freaky. First time I was on one I had a GB helping me out . Definitely took some getting used to.

War Wagon.jpg
I guess we made this into a Vietnam thread, so I'll give you one last picture of us when we got to our four man relay team on the mountain supporting the ROK 9th Div White Horse. We brought the guys C rats and radio equipment. The vehicle shown is what we called the War Wagon with an M60 mounted on a fabricated mount the guys made.

No, First of all when I got the AK and ammo I removed all the green tracers, which the VC used. The AK was a last defense in case I ran out of ammo for the M14 and was stranded on the road. I figured I could use Charlies ammo if necessary.
We only went on convoys with a jeep, 3/4 ton and a 21/2 ton. There was six to seven of us. When we finished up on the site we headed back to base which was a big one. So what I'm saying the AK was a backup if needed.
This is a Panoramic view of where I was. Pan all the way to the right where the green arrow is and then about six hundred yards from there. The mountains in the background is where we had to convoy.
http://www.reocities.com/RainForest/Andes/2024/nha_trang_panoramic_photo.htm
I'm sorry for hijacking this thread OP. I will stop now.

Thank you for the information and more importantly your service. I love to hear from people that have actually been there than here say! Feel free to include any details about your experience with or without using the m-14 in theatre.

View attachment 1026387 I guess we made this into a Vietnam thread, so I'll give you one last picture of us when we got to our four man relay team on the mountain supporting the ROK 9th Div White Horse. We brought the guys C rats and radio equipment. The vehicle shown is what we called the War Wagon with an M60 mounted on a fabricated mount the guys made.
slick slick I couldn't tell from the legend, but how far was the route you covered re supplying the groups?

slick slick I couldn't tell from the legend, but how far was the route you covered re supplying the groups?
I think it was around 25 miles. Really dusty roads. We wore goggles at times and something to cover your mouth. We laughed at each other when we got to where we were going because we looked like raccoons from the dirt and dust and wearing the goggles.
I made some movies while I was there. Wind up camera. I still have it. The films were so brittle I lost a lot of it. I did manage to get some of it on DVD. It is a mixture of a few films. Some in Germany on a Commo site I was in charge of and the other various parts of films from Vietnam. The first segment was up on the mountain where my team was supporting the Korean Infantry. The second portion was the Missle communications site in Germany 2300 ft high. As you can see it was a little cool up there. I spent seven years as Site Chief up on that mountain.
http://vid220.photobucket.com/albums/dd42/SigVet/Videos/NhaTrangFilm-1.mp4

Back
Top Bottom