• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Honda experts

I've got an 06 odyssey and it uses 5w20 - per the owners manual and the oil cap. I've run 5w30 and 10w40in the past with no I'll effects.
I'm really thinking the pump is shout. Sounds like a wrist pin is tapping or rod bearing. I'm thinking about putting a manual guage on it but my next question is, are these worth trying to rebuild or just throw a used engine in a send it to be traded?

Also, sometimes a brand new tensioner can make noise. If you have a stethoscope, check the tensioner while running. Happened to me twice, not a third. Dorman, Asin and Cloyes make good ones.
Although, the tensioner won’t cause a low oil pressure light.

Plug up a known good gauge and get an accurate pressure reading. Put the recommended weight oil in it for this climate according to factory specs. Also not a bad idea to have factory filter as they tend to help keep pressure .

(Just my opinions as a certified technician. Hard to tell ANYTHING definitive without actually diagnosing the car. )

Plug up a known good gauge and get an accurate pressure reading. Put the recommended weight oil in it for this climate according to factory specs. Also not a bad idea to have factory filter as they tend to help keep pressure .

(Just my opinions as a certified technician. Hard to tell ANYTHING definitive without actually diagnosing the car. )
Oil filter was almost empty. I'm betting oil pump. Going to try and get a manual guage on it in the next few days. The knock is towards the 3&6 cylinders not near the front.

Also, sometimes a brand new tensioner can make noise. If you have a stethoscope, check the tensioner while running. Happened to me twice, not a third. Dorman, Asin and Cloyes make good ones.
Although, the tensioner won’t cause a low oil pressure light.
Installed Asin kit. With the filter only having a few ounces in it I'm betting the farm on it being the pump. Just concerned if there's already a tap if it would make sense to put a new pump in and see or drop the engine and maybe but bearings in it.

Back
Top Bottom